/ / Vigevano: photo description (Vigevano)

Vigevano: photo description (Vigevano)

Vigevano is a small town in the province of Pavia in Lombardy, in which are preserved a great number of monuments of history and culture and which is an industrial centre. It is located in the heart of the area known as Lomellina is a huge rice-growing agricultural center. The main tourist attraction of the city is the beautiful Renaissance Piazza Ducale.

The first mention of Vigevano belong to the 10th century, when the town was the hunting residence and the favourite place of the Lombard king Arduin. Then the city became a municipality of the Ghibellines and in 1201 and 1275-m years, was sacked by the Nerazzurri. In the 14th century Vigevano surrendered to the Visconti family and later divided the history of the Duchy of Milan. In 1445, the year here on the orders of Filippo Maria Visconti, was built the Church of San Pietro Martire and the adjacent Dominican monastery. After the fall of the family of Visconti rule in the city was the dynasty of Sforza, who turned in the bishopric of Vigevano. From this family remained in the city the majestic castle Castello Sforzesco, built in 1492-94, respectively, to Ludovico Maria Sforza, born here and transformed the fortification of the structure of the Visconti into a rich aristocratic residence in Gothic-Renaissance style. Guests of the castle were Leonardo da Vinci and Bramante. In an ancient castle remained a unique indoor passage, high enough so that it could pass the rider. This walkway connects the new Palace and the old fortifcation. There is also an elegant loggia, supported by 48 columns, and behind the donjon - the Ladies ' Loggia, built for the Duchess Beatrice d'este.

Vigevano's main attraction is the Piazza Ducale, one of the most beautiful in Italy. It was built by the architect Antonio filarete in 1492-93, respectively, and differs almost perfect proportions. The area was supposed to be the outer courtyard of the castle, Ludovico Sforza. It is almost entirely surrounded by arcades, which was typical of new towns of the North of Italy of the 13th century. Here originates the main street Vigevano - it starts at the beautiful arched facade, reminiscent of place des Vosges in Paris. And here stands the Baroque Cathedral, whose construction began in 1532, the year ended almost a hundred years later. Inside the Cathedral you can see the works of Macrino d'alba, Bernardino Ferrari and the altarpiece in tempera technique of the school of Da Vinci.