/ / Vico del Gargano: photo description (Vico del Gargano)

Vico del Gargano: photo description (Vico del Gargano)

Vico del Gargano is a town in the province of Foggia in the Italian region of Puglia, which is often called the "City of Love". It is located in the national Park "Gargano".

Historical centre of Vico del Gargano is a perfect example of urban architecture, well-preserved for many centuries. There are many attractions of the city such as the Museum of Trappeto Maratea, the castle of Frederick II, Palazzo della Bella and Vicolo del Bachio, which means "alley of the kiss". To wander the narrow streets and tiny squares of Vico del Gargano is extremely nice, especially at night when the spotlights and the city turns into a shimmering maelstrom of medieval walls, terracotta roofs and mystical alleyways.

Vico del Gargano is also famous for its numerous churches and chapels - a total of about thirteen. The oldest Church dates from the late 6th century and bears the name of the Chiesa Matrice. This is a big red dome dominates the other buildings of the city centre. And it was in this Church there is the statue of St. Valentine, the patron Saint of Vico del Gargano. Also worth seeing is the Church of St. Joseph with a wooden sculpture of the dead Christ.

The above-mentioned Trappeto Maratea is the town's main Museum, located in the district of Casale". He received this name because, what is inside "trabatto" - the old oil mill, Dating from the 14th century, which belonged to several noble families of Vico del Gargano. Still around the building are traces of those trails that in the past mules were brought olives. Inside, Trappeto Maratea has many original tools and equipment used to produce olive oil, which is famous for Apulia.

Just outside the historic centre of Vico del Gargano is located the monastery of the Capuchin order, built in 1556, the year the Marquis Colantonio Caracciolo. In the courtyard of the monastery Church you can see a huge oak tree with a diameter of 5 metres, planted in 1646, the year after the devastating earthquake. The legend says that at the entrance of the monastery the Prince Spinelli, who hated the locals for his unjust laws and violence. And here is kept a wooden crucifix considered miraculous.

Around Vico del Gargano at the time, was made many archaeological discoveries, saying that these territories were inhabited since ancient times. So, was found a necropolis 6-5-th centuries BC, bearing the name Monte Tabor. And on the promontory of Monte Pucci tower, built by the Spanish in 1569, the year for protection from the Saracens, there are numerous grottoes and small caves in which the Paleolithic era lived people.

Finally, it should be said that Vico del Gargano called the "City of 100 springs". Historically, these hitters from under ground sources was the only resource of drinking water for the local population, and soon became a meeting place and communication. Source Canneto is still used by locals and tourists never tire to marvel at its purity. Another source - the Old Fountain, or Fountain of the French - is a cozy place lined with trees, with a pretty fountain and a well preserved old Laundry.