/ / Villa d'este: photos, description (Villa d'este)

Villa d'este: photos, description (Villa d'este)

Villa d'este Villa in Tivoli, a suburb of Rome, a UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site and a fine example of architecture of the Renaissance.

The Villa was built by order of cardinal Ippolito II d'este, son of Alfonso I d'este and Lucrezia Borgia and grandson of Pope Alexander VI. Ippolito was appointed Governor of Tivoli by Pope Julius III, who also gave him the gift of a Palace. The Palace was completely reconstructed by the project of Pirro Ligorio under the guidance of architect Alberto Galvani, court architect of the este family. The interior decorations of the Villa worked to Agresti Livio of Forli. For two decades (from 1550 to 1572), cardinal d'este, transformed the Villa in a magnificent residence surrounded by a lush hanging garden in the style of the late Renaissance. The creation of the garden required the use of the latest innovations of the time in the water, which was made with cascades, tanks, troughs and pools, water jets and fountains. In the end, Villa d'este has become one of the most outstanding buildings of the 17th century in the Roman Campaign, along with the Villa Lante, the Villa Farnese in Caprarola, Villa Aldobrandini and Villa Torlonia in Frascati. Like the hanging gardens were created over the next two centuries all over Europe — from Portugal to Poland. Interestingly, the inspiration for cardinal d'este was a nearby Villa adriana, the residence of the ruler of the Roman Empire. From there were shipped numerous marble statues that were decorated with a cardinal's Villa.

In 1605 cardinal Alessandro d'este held the extension of the garden, and in the 18th century Villa and the adjacent area became the property of the house of Habsburg (Ercole III d'este bequeathed the possession of his daughter Maria Beatrice, who married the Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Karl). Later luxury Villa and the garden was neglected, the hydraulic system fell into disrepair, and many ancient statues were dismantled and taken to different places. The period of decline immortalized in the works of Liszt, who gave the Villa d'este, one of his last concerts.

After the First world war, the Villa d'este was purchased by the government of Italy, restored and re-furnished with furniture and interior items from the vaults of the National Gallery (Rome). Today the Villa houses the Museum of the ancient books dedicated to the study and preservation of antique books.