/ / Villa del Poggio Imperiale: photos, description (Villa del Poggio Imperiale)

Villa del Poggio Imperiale: photos, description (Villa del Poggio Imperiale)

Villa del Poggio Imperiale - a neoclassical Villa in the town of Arcetri South of Florence. She once belonged to the powerful Medici dynasty and its long history has been at the center of the tumultuous events of the history of Italy.

Documentary history of the Villa begins in the 15th century, when this place was a small building erected by the Florentine merchant and known as Villa del Poggio Baroncelli. In the 16th century it passed to Pietro Salviati, a member of a noble Florentine family name, which greatly embellished his estate. In 1565, the year after the death of Pietro, the Villa was confiscated by Cosimo Medici and gave his daughter Isabella. It was here, in the walls of the Villa, Isabella spent most of the year along with his highly educated court. And here she was murdered by her husband in 1576, the year.

In 1622-1628-m years the Villa has been completely rebuilt by order of Maria Maddalena of Austria, wife of Cosimo de ' Medici II, by the architect Giulio Parigi. The building was doubled and the interior re-decorated by the artist Matteo Rosselli. At that time the Villa was connected to the town by this street. Then it got its present name - the Villa del Poggio Imperiale, since Maria Maddalena was the sister of Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II. In 1659, the year Ferdinand II bought the Villa with his sister and further increased the area of the building and adorned it with marble and carved decoration. But only in the 18th century, being the property of the dynasty of Habsburg-Lorraine, the heyday of the Villa reached its peak.

In 1776, the year began the next restoration work on the Villa, which lasted almost 15 years, during this time, there are stucco and plaster decorations, additional space and a variety of secondary facades in the neoclassical style. The main facade of the Villa is simple and even modest - was issued in 1807, the year. On the first floor of the facade has five arched passages leading to the courtyard. On the second floor is visible to the glazed loggia.

In 1865, the year when Florence for a short period of time became the capital of the newly created Italian Kingdom, the main residence of the court was Pitti Palace and the new king, Victor Emmanuel II, was not necessary in the second, a huge Palace in the immediate vicinity of the Palazzo Pitti. So, Villa del Poggio Imperiale were transferred to the property of an elite school for girls, which today is housed in the former Ducal residence. Only some rooms of the Villa, in particular, those where you can see frescoes by Matteo Rosselli, are open for visits by prior arrangement.