/ / Villa Giulia: photo, description (Villa Giulia)

Villa Giulia: photo, description (Villa Giulia)

Villa Giulia built on the initiative of Pope Julius III in 1551-1553 on what was then the outskirts of the city. Today the building houses the national Museum of Etruscan culture, which houses an impressive collection of art and artifacts of the era of the Etruscans.

Pope Julius III, well-educated connoisseur of art, commissioned the construction of Villa Giacomo da Vignola Barozzi. However, the Nymphaeum (a sanctuary dedicated to water nymphs) and a number of other garden buildings was completed by Bartolomeo Ammannati under the direction of Giorgio Vasari. In addition, the Villa at one time worked and the great Michelangelo.

Julius III was personally interested in the construction and decoration of the Villa and spent a lot of money. As a result, the building became one of the most outstanding examples of the style of mannerism in architecture. After the death of Pope his successor, Paul IV, gave the main building and part of the garden to the property of the Apostolic Chamber. In 1769, the Villa was renovated, and a century later confiscated by the Italian government. At the beginning of the 20th century the building housed the national Museum of Etruscan culture.

Till today only part of the Villa Giulia has retained its original appearance, including three of the vineyard, which stretches to the Tiber (Julius III often visited them on the boat). Villa traditionally had the main entrance (from the street via Flaminia) and secondary, from the garden. Facing the city the façade is quite sad: in the centre is a richly details the triumphal arch, and on either side of her - a row of Doric columns. On the rear facade of the Villa is a semi-circular loggia dominates the three courtyards. Also there is a "casino" is a small extension through which visitors enter the Villa. Special attention is drawn to the Nymphaeum, designed for alfresco dining during the summer heat. This three-level building with marble statues of the river gods, erected around the fountain of the Acqua Vergine. The fountain was made by the Vasari and Ammannati (source of water for him, the aqueduct of the Acqua Vergine also supplies the Trevi fountain).