/ / Villa Doria Pamphili: photos, description (Villa Doria Pamphili)

Villa Doria Pamphili: photos, description (Villa Doria Pamphili)

Villa Doria Pamphili - Villa of the 17th century, now turned into one of the largest landscaped parks in Rome. Located in the quarter of Monteverde, on the Gianicolo hill just behind the ancient gates of Porta San Pancrazio (from which originates the ancient road of via Aurelia). Once the Villa belonged to the family of Pamphili, but after the termination of the kind in the 18th century it became the property of Giovanni Andrea Doria IV and since then, has a double name.

The core of the sprawling estate is the Villa Vecchia, (the Old Villa), which in the early 17th century was bought by Pamfilio Pamphili. Then it was annexed to the surrounding vineyards, and the estate became known as the Bel Respiro, with its territory, with a beautiful view of the surrounding land. In 1644 cardinal Giambattista Pamphili was elected Pope under the name innocent X, and, accordingly, the change of status was required to give a more chic family owned. On the decorations of the Villa worked with Alessandro Algardi, and Giovanni Francesco Grimaldi.

The original project assumed the construction of the Central building - "casino" - with lateral extensions, however, he was not brought to an end. The restructuring of the Villa began in 1645 and was completed two years later. Several years were required for the completion of the scenery of the estate and the layout of the garden.

When in 1760 Girolamo Pamphili died, leaving no male heirs among his descendants was an emotional outburst on the subject, who still will get the vast estate. Disputes put an end in 1763, Pope Clement XIII, who gave all the legacy Pamphili Giovanni Andrea Doria IV (his father was married to Anna Pamphili). During the 18th century the Villa was periodically conducted construction work, for example, in the garden was built new fountains and gates. The old beds were stored but converted into a multi-colored carpet of the flower gardens (today they got back the appearance of the 16th century), and throughout the Villa you can find ancient tombs and sarcophagi.

In the mid-19th century during fierce fighting the French army and the army of Garibaldi, unfolded the walls of the Porta San Pancrazio, located near the Villa Corsini was completely destroyed. Doria-Pamphili bought the land of this Villa and added them to his possessions, almost twice increasing the area of the family estate. In the new lands was built a monumental memorial arch known as Arch of the Four Winds. A small building called the Palazzina Corsini remained intact, today it is used for exhibitions.

In the 20th century, the new additions changed the appearance of the Villa Vecchia, which bought the facade in the Romanesque style. And the collection of ancient art Pamphili appeared first on medieval sculpture. Interiors the Villa itself was redone in the art Nouveau style.

In 1957, the Villa Doria Pamphili was purchased by the Government of Italy and soon turned into a Museum, which exhibits ancient artifacts and sculptures. In the Park, spread over an area of 1.8 sq. km., you can find running tracks and platforms for bird watching.