/ / Villa Borghese Museum: photos, description (Villa Borghese)

Villa Borghese Museum: photos, description (Villa Borghese)

It is not only the largest Park of Rome that stretches for six miles in circumference, but one of the most picturesque. Park created by Cafarelli cardinal Borghese in the early XVII century, was completely redesigned in the late eighteenth century, architects of Asprucci and re-decorated by the artist Unterberger, but in the early nineteenth century by the architect Luigi Kanina they gave it the form in which it appears to visitors today. In 1902, the Park was renamed in honor of king Umberto I, who gave it as a gift to the city of Rome. However, despite the official name, the Park is still known as the Villa Borghese, named after its founder.

One of the most famous collections of sculpture and painting is an elegant building known as the Casino Borghese, which was built by the order of Scipione Borghese by the architect Giovanni Vasanzio in 1613-1615. The Museum is located on the lower floor and has a porch, lounge and eight rooms, in which are stored many masterpieces by Bernini and Canova, as well as samples of the marble sculpture of the classical period. The Borghese gallery is on the second floor and includes a spacious lobby and twelve rooms, in which a collection of priceless paintings by Perugino, Pinturicchio, Andrea del Sarto, Bernini, Pietro da Cortona, Titian, Veronese and many other artists.

National Etruscan Museum is located in the Villa Giulia, the summer residence of Pope Julius III. In the Museum you can see a terracotta statue of Apollo of veio, a collection of ceramics and gold jewelry A. Castellani collection of Etruscan bronze ware, the famous Etruscan sarcophagus depicting a married couple. Is located nearby Gallery of Modern art, where the paintings and sculptures of masters of the XIX century.

The Villa Borghese is a racetrack, a zoo, there are races and competitions of mounted carabinieri, and on the island in the middle of an artificial lake is a small temple of Aesculapius.