/ / Villa Montalvo: photo, description (Villa Montalvo)

Villa Montalvo: photo, description (Villa Montalvo)

Villa Montalvo is an aristocratic residence in the Tuscan town of Campi Bisenzio, now owned by the municipality. The estate is spread over an area of three thousand square meters and was originally known as the Villa Alla Marina on the name of the nearby river. The modern name comes from a noble Spanish family Ramirez de Montalvo, which owned the Villa for over three centuries.

The first mention of Villa Montalvo meet in 1305, the year when it was a fortified structure. It was probably built during the bloody strife between Guelphs and Ghibellines, and after the defeat of the Ghibellines was abandoned and fell into disrepair. At the beginning of the 15th century, the Villa became the family Del Sodo, at whose initiative began the restoration works ended only in 1427, the year. The Villa was extended by the erection of the South wing and a small chapel. Del Sodo owned a building a short time - in 1460, the year it was bought by a rich Florentine Spinelli family, and in 1534, the year became the property of Ottaviano de ' Medici. In Ottaviano the two buildings of the Villa were connected, and was laid out around a spacious garden.

In 1570, the year of Bernadetto de 'Medici, the son of Ottaviano, moved to Naples and sold the Villa don Antonio Ramirez, a wealthy Spaniard, who arrived in Florence after Eleonora di Toledo, wife of Cosimo I de' Medici. Don Antonio immediately began large-scale reconstruction work: has been completely redone South-Western front of the Villa and on the first floor have built a number of Windows with metal bars. Also redid the front door, and the vaults placed the family coat of arms Montalvo. Around the perimeter of the Villa, erected a fortress wall. Reconstruction ended with the device of a new stone well in the center of the patio.

The next restoration took place in 1760, the year when the premises was decorated with stucco and paintings, and the garden was planted with Magnolia and lemons. Garden paths framed terracotta figurines and vases with flowers. Then it was renovated, the chapel of Sant Andrea Avellino, which has become a family.

Only in 1984, the year Villa Montalvo was purchased by the municipality of Campi Bisenzio together with a garden and lemon house. Today the Villa hosts the municipal library, historical archive, and several state agencies. In addition, it often hosts different social events. In the garden it is still possible to admire three hundred year old magnolias and luxurious plane tree, which is about 200 years. And immediately outside the Villa you will find the urban Park of Villa Montalvo area of about 19 hectares is a favorite place of recreation for residents of Campi Bisenzio and guests of the city.