/ / Villa Spada: photos, description (Villa Spada)

Villa Spada: photos, description (Villa Spada)

Villa Spada is a luxurious building of the mid 18th century, the creation of the architect Giovanni Battista Martinetti, to fulfill orders Zambeccari Jacopo, to whom the Villa belonged until 1811. In 1820 it was acquired by the Marquis of Beaufort, wife of the Roman Prince Clemente Spada, veralli, which brought to an end the design of the estate and the surrounding gardens. By the way, the author of the project of the Italian garden was also Giovanni Martinetti. The awning is attached to the Villa part of an extensive Park, visible from the street, via Saragossa. Later Villa Spada bought the famous tenor Antonio Poggi, but in 1849 it housed the headquarters of the Austrian troops. In the second half of the 19th century Villa was even the Turkish Sultan. From the 1920s until after the Second World war it was the property of the Pisa family, whose members carried out various restoration works, and made architectural changes - for example, in those years was to make access to the street via Saragossa. Finally, in the 60-ies of the 20th century, the Villa became the Bologna City Council who made it available to the public.

Today the Villa Spada, which bears the name of one of its former owners, is surrounded by a Park of 6 hectares, part of which is the aforementioned Italian garden. Inside, a historical Museum, which holds about 6 thousand copies tissue! This unique Museum is one of the most beautiful in Europe. Some of the exhibits are very rare and expensive, such as brocade covering Christian icons in the Hagia Sophia Mosque in Istanbul and 50 of the Bologna standards.

The Park is planted with Mediterranean evergreen trees, oaks, cypresses, rhododendrons, pines - is a favorite place of recreation for residents and tourists. In the Park organized playgrounds for children, an observation deck with views of Bologna, and picnic areas. In addition to the traditional European plants here you can see exotic flowers and shrubs. At the entrance to the Park is located a strange structure is the crypt Dating from the 18th century. There are no human remains, since it is designed for... dogs. Another interesting attraction of the Park is a group of sculptures dedicated to the 128 women of Bologna, who died fighting the fascist regime of Mussolini.