/ / Villa Farnesina: photos, description (Villa Farnesina)

Villa Farnesina: photos, description (Villa Farnesina)

Villa Farnesina - the Villa Renaissance in the heart of Trastevere. The building was built for Agostino Chigi, a wealthy banker from Siena and the Treasurer of Pope Julius II. Above the Villa project in 1506-1510 years, was master of Siena, Baldassare, Peruzzi, pupil of Bramante. He also supervised the construction works. Design this country house is very different from the design of a typical urban Palazzo. The latter, as a rule, were faces in the street and resembled castles - rectangular blocks of the first floor, lined with stone, and patio. Villa Farnesina was gonna be a spacious summer residence: the architect added a U-shape with a loggia with five bays between the side wings. Originally the main entrance to the building was through the loggia, which was opened, today it is glazed, and visitors can get inside to the South.

The decoration of the Villa Farnesina was commissioned such artists as Raphael, Sebastiano del Piombo, Giulio Romano and Il Sodoma. While creating these murals, they were inspired by the works of the poet Angelo Poliziano. On the ground floor of the Villa has preserved a fresco by Raphael, in the loggia you can see the image of the classical myth of Cupid and psyche - this work is reminiscent of the "Birth of Venus" by Botticelli. Attraction of the loggia is also painted vault, which depicts the location of planets in zodiac signs the birthday of Agostino Chigi (29 November 1466.

The main hall on the second floor of the Villa Peruzzi, decorated with frescoes in trompe l'oeil style (a technique for creating optical illusion of three-dimensional space) - it seems that through the Windows of the loggia of the town and surrounding land. However, the illusion of three-dimensional space is created only if you look at the picture from a certain point. In the next room Il Sodoma portrayed scenes from the life of Alexander the great.

The Villa became the property of the Farnese family in 1577. In the same 16th century, Michelangelo proposed linking the Palazzo Farnese on the other side of the Tiber, where he was working, to the Villa by the bridge. Work on the construction of the bridge was even started, but never finished - left a few arches on the side of the Palazzo Farnese, which faces in the direction of via Giulia. Later the Villa belonged to the Naples branch of the Bourbon dynasty, and in the middle of the 19th century, the Spanish Ambassador in Rome.

Today the Villa Farnesina is owned by the Government of Italy, it is located in the national Academy dei Lincei of Rome and the Hall of engravings and prints. The main room of the Villa, including the loggia, are open to the public.