/ / Villasimius: photo description (Villasimius)

Villasimius: photo description (Villasimius)

Villasimius is a municipality in the province of Cagliari on the island Sardinia, located 35 km East of Cagliari and is famous for its beaches. Due to its strategically advantageous geographical position, the territory of Villasimius has been inhabited by man since prehistoric period, as evidenced by the Nuraghi 19-6-th century BC, and artifacts of the Phoenician-Carthaginian (7-2-th century BC) and Roman times (3rd century BC - 6th century ad).

From the 13th century, the city was known under the name of Carbonara. During the existence of the Sardinian giudicati (kingdoms), and then during the reign of the Aragonese dynasty and the rule of the Spaniards the inhabitants of Villasimius suffered from constant pirate raids, and the territory of the city gradually regions were depopulated. Only in the early 19th century, the city, which was part of the Sardinian Kingdom, was inhabited again, and in 1838, the year received the status of commune.

Traditionally, the economy of Villasimius was based on agriculture and sheep farming, and from 1875, the year, and in the mining of granite. In the 1960-ies there has been actively developed tourism and today the city is a renowned resort. The most popular local beaches are Porto Sa ruxi beach, Piscadeddus, Campus, Cala Caterina, Cala Burroni, Porto Giunco, Timi AMA, Simius, Punta Molentis and Spiaggia del RISO.

In 1998, the year on the coast of Villasimius, 6 km from the city centre, was created by the marine reserve of "Capo Carbonara", which attracts tourists. It occupies the territory of the homonymous promontory, which forms the Eastern extremity of the Gulf of Cagliari and the island of Cavoli and Serpentara. The Cape has a 3.5 km long and a maximum of 1.8 km in width. The main attractions here are the ruins of the fortress in the Western part of the Cape, the beaches of is Traias and Porto Giunco, and the Stagno di Nottori with a colony of pink flamingos. There is at Capo Carbonara lighthouse.