/ / Porta Nuova: photo description (Porta Nuova)

Porta Nuova: photo description (Porta Nuova)

Porta Nuova - one of the "youngest" of the gates of Verona, built by the architect Michele Sanmicheli in 1535-1540 years on the site of Porta Santa Croce set in the era of the rock. Porta Nuova was built together with the city's defensive fortifications, it was built and Porta Palio. In 1797, at the beginning of the French domination on the Apennine Peninsula, the gates were erased coats of arms of the Venetian Republic. In the mid 19th century the Austrians became masters of Verona at the Congress of Vienna, started the reconstruction of the historical monument: built a side chapels and decorated the facade of the volcanic tuff. Only the Central part of the Porta Nuova has come down to us in its original form. Today it was from this gate, decorated with the head of Jupiter, begins the street of the Porta Nuova that leads to the main square - Piazza Bra.

Porta Nuova is located between the Bastion of the Reformed, and the Bastion of the Holy Trinity. The rectangular base is divided into several aisles, the Central of which is the travel way. Side passages were designed for pedestrians and guard guard. Prestroika two carriageways of the arches in the 18th century changed the original layout of the gates. On a flat roof with round turrets at the corners were installed artillery pieces protected the sides of the teeth. The Doric facade of Porta Nuova, overlooking the village, designed in the classical style of the triumphal arches - the Central main entrance and two small side arches, which in the 18th century were added two large arch. It is lined with simple stone. Lion of St. Mark, which once decorated the gate were replaced by sculpted composica with two griffins, between which loomed the traditional "heraldic" double-headed eagle, later erased. Facing the town facade, lined with tufa and brick, had two sides of the window opening and two small passage, which in the 18th century was destroyed to install a pair of large arched vaults. On the southern facade flaunts the coat of arms of Savoy, added here after 16 October 1866, when Verona became part of unified Italy.