/ / Educational building: photos, description (Ospedale degli Innocenti)

Educational building: photos, description (Ospedale degli Innocenti)

Foundling hospital (OSPEDALE degli Innocenti) is a historical building in Florence, Piazza Santissima Annunziata, an outstanding example of architecture of the Early Renaissance in Italy. The building was designed in 1419, the year of Filippo Brunelleschi commissioned by the Guild of sherstyanikov "Arte della Lana" - one of the richest in Florence. For a long time the building housed the orphanage - the children were sometimes left in the pool located in front of the portico. But in 1660, the year the pool was removed, and in its place built a mechanism for the secret vault: the door had a special revolving wheel, by which the child went in and brought it adult to remain unnoticed. This system worked until the closing of the orphanage in 1875, the year.

The building of the OSPEDALE degli Innocenti was built in several stages and only the first of them - from 1419 to 1427-th years - was chaired by Brunelleschi, which was based on the ideas of Roman, Gothic and Romanesque architecture. The innovation was the use of round columns with a classic and added capitals, and circular arches and spherical domes. Above each column is visible ceramic Tondo - a circular painting or relief. Further shelter was attached to the attic floor, and the building was extended with an additional wing on the South side. Formally, the foundling hospital was opened in 1445, the year, and ten days later it appeared first orphan. At the end of the 1520-ies from the street of via de Fibbia was attached to a wing, intended for girls who are not married or became nuns. Today in the building of the OSPEDALE degli Innocenti is a small Museum dedicated to the Renaissance, with the works of Luca della Robbia, Sandro Botticelli, Piero di Cosimo and Domenico Ghirlandaio.

OSPEDALE degli Innocenti, defines the Eastern boundary of the Piazza Santissima Annunziata, the other two notable buildings here were constructed later on the model of the loggia by Brunelleschi. On the West side is the Loggia dei Servi di Maria, designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Elder in 1520-ies for the friars. Today this building is open in the hotel. On the North side stands the Basilica della Santissima Annunziata, the exterior of which is younger than the rest of the building - it was added in 1601, the year the architect Giovanni Battista Caccini. In 1608, the year the square was the equestrian statue of Ferdinand I Tuscan by the outstanding sculptor Gianbologna, and in 1640, the year - fountain.