/ / Galleria Doria Pamphilj: photos, description (Galleria Doria Pamphilj)

Galleria Doria Pamphilj: photos, description (Galleria Doria Pamphilj)

The Doria Pamphilj gallery is a huge collection of works of art, preserved in the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj in Rome. Located between via del Corso and via della Gatta. The main entrance to the gallery is on via del Corso. The facade of the Palazzo facing the same street, adjacent to the Church of Santa Maria in via Lata. Gallery and Palazzo are owned by the private Roman family Doria Pamphilj.

A large collection of paintings, furniture and statues were collected from the 16th century members of the families of the Doria, Pamphilj, Landi and Aldobrandini, which will eventually result in marriage United in one family. In the collection among others you can see paintings and furniture from the Palazzo Pamphilj (in Piazza Navona), belonged to Pope innocent X.

The Palazzo was expanded over several centuries. Probably, today it is the largest in Rome, are in private ownership. The main collection is located in the staterooms and the chapel. But most of the collection exhibited in small galleries surrounding the courtyard. Part of the room converted into a well-lit galleries where you can explore the works of medieval and Byzantine art.

In 1767, the Palazzo Pamphili was built in honor of the marriage of Andrea IV Doria Pamphilj Landi and Princess Leopoldina Maria of Savoy. The restoration conducted by the architect from Trapani, Francesco Nicoletti.

The masterpiece collection is a portrait of Pope innocent X painted by Velazquez. Born Giovanni Battista Pamphilj, innocent ascended the papal throne in 1644. Since 1927, the painting velázquez is stored in a special small room with a bust of Pope by Bernini.

One of the relatives of innocent, Camillo Pamphilj, married the widow of Olympia Borghese, nee Aldobrandini, she was the one who acquired the Palazzo, then known as the Palazzo Aldobrandini. Some time young lived in this Palace. In 1654 Camillo began to expand his neighboring house and monastery were purchased and demolished. Over the remodelling of the house worked the architect Antonio del Grande, and on the facade worked Gabriele Valvassori. One of the daughters of Camillo and Olivia - Anna Pamphili - in 1671, she married the Genoese aristocrat Giovanni Andrea Doria Landi, and it was their descendants who inherited the Palazzo when in the 18th century, the Roman branch of the family Pamphili was broken. In 1767 the ceilings of the ceremonial halls were painted with frescoes by such artists of the late Baroque, as Crescenzio Onofri, Aureliano Milani, and Stefano Pozzi.