/ / The municipal gallery in Palazzo Chiericati: photos, description (Pinacoteca civica di Palazzo Chiericati)

The municipal gallery in Palazzo Chiericati: photos, description (Pinacoteca civica di Palazzo Chiericati)

City art gallery Vicenza housed in a Palazzo Chiericati, designed by Andrea Palladio in 1550, the year for Girolamo Chiericati. The Grand Palace was finally completed only in the late 17th century according to the original designs. In 1839, the year the municipality of Vicenza bought the Palazzo from an aristocratic family Chiericati and has placed in the city art collection. Subsequently, the building was renovated by the architects Berti and Miglioranza and in 1855 was opened to the public as a Museum.

Today in the Palazzo Chiericati hosts a collection of paintings and sculptures, the Room of drawings and sketches and a Hall of numismatics. An important core of the collection of paintings behind the altar are images of the now-defunct Church of San Bartolomeo and the work of Bartolomeo Montagna, Giovanni Balconcillo, CIMA da Conegliano, Giovanni Speranza, Marcello Foglino. Here you can see seven huge tympanum with the image of the glorification of the Venetian rulers of the work of Jacopo Bassano, Francesco Maffei and Giulio Carpioni.

In the 19th century the Museum collection has been enriched with masterpieces of such masters as Tintoretto, Anton van Dyck, Sebastiano and Marco Ricci, Luca Giordano, Giambattista Tiepolo and Giovanni Battista Piazzetta passed to the aristocratic families of the city. The real jewel of the collection are 33 figure Andrea Palladio, who in 1839, the year the Museum bequeathed Gaetano Kicked. Another patron, Neri Pozza, donated to the Museum a private collection of sculptures and engravings as well as works from his collection of contemporary art - the paintings of Carlo carrà, Filippo De Pisis will, Judy Virgilio, Osvaldo Licini, Otto and Rosalie.

For many years the City art gallery has expanded not only its holdings, but also space. The core of it remained the Palazzo Chiericati, and in the 19th century to it on the South side was attached to another building.