/ / The city walls of Prato: photo description (Le mure civiche)

The city walls of Prato: photo description (Le mure civiche)

The city walls of Prato is one of the tourist attractions of the Tuscan city worthy of inspection. The first settlements on the site of modern was Prato Borgo al Cornio and Borgo al Prato, which later, in the 12th century, became one, as it was easier to protect the population. Immediately the question arose about the construction of defensive walls around the new settlement, which had importance because of its trade in wool. The construction of the wall began in 1175 and ended in 1196, the year it was built of square stone blocks and had an observation tower and a watchtower. To get inside was through one of eight doors are Porta San Giovanni on via San Stefano Port, Tiezi in via Garibaldi, Porta Capo di Ponte in via San Jacopo, the Port of Santissima trinità on the same street, Port Fuya on via del Pellegrino, Port Gallimore on via Cesare Guasti and the port of Travalo on via San Michele. Each door led to a suspension bridge, thrown over the moat, which provided additional protection for the city.

With the development of Prato and the expansion of its borders necessitated the construction of new fortifications. In particular, in the 14th century it was built another defensive wall stretching to the square of Mercatale. Its construction was completed in 1332, the year. And between 1338-m - 1351 m over the years has been redesigned a part of the wall between the Port and the Port Gallimore of the Santissima trinità. To this period also belongs the establishment of the so-called Corridor del Cassero (castle corridor), which was built at the behest of the Florentines and was connected to the wall of the city castle.

The space inside the defensive walls was organized as follows - initially, each of the eight doors led into a separate area of the city, which received the same name as its main goal. But later, the municipality of Prato decided to combine the districts, making eight separate divisions four quarters: San Stefano, Santa Maria, Santissima trinità and San Marco. This division continues to this day.