/ / City Museum of ancient art: photo description (Museo civico d'arte antica)

City Museum of ancient art: photo description (Museo civico d'arte antica)

City Museum of ancient art is located in Turin in the building of Palazzo Madama. The Museum houses rare collection of artifacts from Gandhara, an ancient Kingdom stretching from Eastern Afghanistan to northwestern Pakistan. This collection was collected during the archaeological works on the territory of Pakistan. The Museum also contains paintings of the middle Ages, Renaissance and Baroque period. In 2006, the year the Museum was reopened after years of restoration work.

City Museum of ancient art was founded in 1934, the year as a continuation of the art gallery Pinakothek Regina and Galleria Reale, which was created in 1832, the year on the orders of king Charles albert of Savoy. They were housed in Palazzo Madama. The first city Museum was established in 1860 year, shortly after the unification of Italy, and three years later its collections were moved to the street, via Gaudenzio Ferrari. Soon the Museum's collection was significantly expanded through acquisitions from private collections, as well as through exhibits received from the many residences of the Savoy dynasty. Some works were donated to the Museum as a donation. In 1898, the year a collection of ancient art were separated from the works of modern art. The last was in 1934, the year moved to a separate building on the initiative of the Museum Director Vittorio Viale.

Today, the Museum of ancient art occupies 35 rooms on four floors of the Palazzo Madama. On the ground floor exhibits works from the middle Ages, the first floor is devoted to the Gothic period and the Renaissance, the second contains exhibits of the Baroque period. In addition to paintings and sculptures in the Museum you can also see ancient manuscripts, for example, the Turin-Milan book of hours of the 14th to 15th centuries, ceramics, porcelain, majolica and ivory and also gold and silver trinkets, furniture and clothing.

Part of the Museum collection is kept in the tower of the 15th century Torre dei Tezori (the Tower Treasure) is a painting by Antonello da Messina, the same book of hours, and several exhibits from the Cabinet of king Charles Emmanuel I. In the Museum you can also see a series of sculptures of the "Dead Christ" paintings, Macrino d'alba, Giacomo Hachero, Antonio Vivarini, Giulio Campi, Gaudenzio Ferrari, etc., jewelry 8 to 13-th centuries.