/ / Museo di Castelvecchio: photo description (Museo Civico di Castelvecchio)

Museo di Castelvecchio: photo description (Museo Civico di Castelvecchio)

Castelvecchio Museum is located in the eponymous castle, built in the middle ages. Today it contains the richest collection of paintings, sculptures, ancient weapons, ceramics and miniatures of those times, as well as several centenary bells. The Museum was established in 1923, but opened its doors to the public only during the second half of 1970-ies after a long reconstruction carried out under the direction of architect Carlo Scarpa. His unique style is seen in the elements of the sets of doors and stairs, in interiors and even in the special fasteners that fix the exhibits.

Among the sculptures, most of which are made in the Romanesque style, it is worth noting the statues of the saints Sergei and Bacchus 1179 of the year, "the Crucifixion" of the 14th century, made of volcanic tuff, the song "Saints Cecilia and Catherine from the Church of San Giacomo di Tomba and the statue kangrande I della Scala on a horse, transferred here from the Scaliger tombs. No less interesting and beautiful works of art: "Madonna with the quail" Pisanello, "the Madonna in the rose garden" Stefano da Verona or Michelino da Besozzo), "Crucifixion" by Jacopo Bellini, "Madonna and child" by Gentile Bellini and "the Holy family" Andrea Mantegna. Here you can also see other paintings and frescoes of the 14th century. In one of the halls chernitsa huge bell tower Del Gardello, standing on the Piazza Dell'erbe, he was cast in 1370. Another room contains the Veronese bell 14th to 16th centuries, and get in this room can only be passed by the secret way leading to the donjon of the castle. Other important exhibits of the Museum - jewelry, 15th and 16th centuries, medieval instruments and numerous sketches of the masters of Italian painting.

Of course, special attention deserves the Castelvecchio castle, built as a defensive fortress on the left Bank of the Adige river during the reign of the della Scala family. This is one of the most outstanding examples of Gothic architecture. Its construction lasted from 1354 1376 for years. Then it was called San Martino al Ponte named located near the ancient Church of St. Martin. And the current name, which in Italian means Old Castle, he got in the 15th century, when on the hill of San Pietro, built a new castle. During the reign of Napoleon Castelvecchio was partially damaged, then, during the Austrian domination, it was used as military barracks, and in 1923 opened City Museum.

The building itself at first glance is unremarkable - it is made of red brick, without any ornamentation. The courtyards, you can see fragments of the city walls of Verona, Ancient Rome, and the perimeter of the castle, surrounded by a jagged fence, are seven towers. The castle is surrounded by a moat, once filled with the waters of the Adige river, now dried up. With the left-Bank part of Verona is connected by a bridge of Castelvecchio, which was built in 1355.