/ / Juliet's tomb: photos, description (Tomba di Giulietta)

Juliet's tomb: photos, description (Tomba di Giulietta)

Juliet's tomb is a sarcophagus of red marble, ages 13-14, are located in the crypt of the former monastery of the Capuchins in Verona. Today it is one of the most popular tourist attractions of the city, to which thousands of lovers from all over the world wishing to see the tomb of the heroine of the legendary Shakespeare play.

The first mention of the tomb appeared in the story by Luigi da Porto in 1524, who wrote that "one of the crypts of the temple were ancient burial place of all kinds Cappelletti, and there was a lovely Juliet." Immediately after the publication of this story a nameless sarcophagus began real pilgrimages, which at the insistence of the authorities was discontinued by the mid-16th century, the tomb was turned into a container for storing water. For the next two and a half centuries, the sarcophagus had been forgotten and abandoned, but in 1807 was published the novel by Germaine de Stael, "Karina", in which the writer mentioned in passing about the tomb of Juliet located in Verona. In society, a new wave of interest in this place, which continues unabated to this day. Passionate fans of Shakespeare and "Romeo and Juliet" chip on the memory pieces of the sarcophagus, and one of its fragments even made a decoration for the Empress Marie-Louise of Austria, second wife of Napoleon I. This is, of course, could not adversely affect the safety of the tomb. In 1868 it was moved from the crypt to the wall of the old Church and erected over it a portico with arches. Three decades later, the next set of fragments of ancient tombstones and columns, and in 1907 near the porch there is a marble bust of Shakespeare. Finally, in the second half of the 1930-ies, when the screens released film George cukor's "Romeo and Juliet", the sarcophagus was moved inside the Church. Soon there was a mailbox for letters to Juliet. By the way, the message does not remain without a response - they said the caretaker of the monastery complex Ettore Solimani, the former the initiator of the transfer of the tomb. In 1970 the Church building was established a small Museum of frescoes, and the tomb of Juliet has become a Museum piece.