/ / The Doge's Palace: photo description (Palazzo Ducale)

The Doge's Palace: photo description (Palazzo Ducale)

The name of the Palace takes from the residence of the Doge, the Supreme leader of the Venetian state. Almost nothing remains from the original structure, built before the year 1000 on the basis of already existing Roman walls. This ancient building was destroyed by fire.

The Construction Of The Palace Of The Doges

The current Doge's Palace was built by the stonemasons, Filippo Calendario, Pietro Bazeyo and master Enrico. In 1400-1404 he was finished facade facing the lagoon, and in 1424, and one that went to St. Mark's Square. To complete the construction of the building were invited to the Florentine and Lombard masters, but most of the building in the Gothic style was completed by family members of Bon, Venetian masters - experts on the processing of marble. In 1577 another fire destroyed one wing of the building, and Antonio da Ponte, Creator of the Rialto bridge, restored the original appearance of the building.

In the center of the East facade is a large balcony, performed by pupils of Sansovino in 1536. Above the balcony Lancet window and a sculpture of Doge Andrea Gritti before the character of Venice. On this balcony stands a statue of Justice by sculptor Alessandro Vittoria. It was from this balcony in 1866, was proclaimed the reunification of Venice to the Italian Kingdom.

Paper gate and the facade of the Palace

To the left of the façade, facing St Mark's Square, open access to the courtyard of the Doge's Palace Paper gate - Porta della Map created by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Bon; in the form of Lancet arches, decorated in its upper part decorative elements in Gothic style; the Doge Francesco Foscari before the winged lion, and above is the statue of Justice. Using Paper you can go through the gate in the arched gallery Foscari, and then into the courtyard of the Doge's Palace, the center of which has two bronze parapet structure of the work of Alfonso Alberghetti (1559) and niccolò dei Conti (1556), casters guns.

The main facade on the East side of the entrance - the work of Antonio Rizzo, the late fifteenth century, richly decorated by Pietro Lombardo. Two facades that flank the courtyard from the South and West sides, built of red brick Bartolomeo Manopola in the XVII century. Upstairs is the Northern facade with Arched gallery Foscari installed the watch face, this facade of two tiers of arches: semi-circular in the portico and pointed to the loggia. In the arched niche galleries highlighted with antique restored statues. This facade is also Baroque work Manopola. On the right, on a high pedestal, a monument to the Duke of Urbino Francesco Maria della Rovere, the work of Giovanni Bandini (1587). Before the stairway is opened to the Arch of Foscari, begun by Bon masters in the Gothic style and completed by architect Rizzo in the Revival style. Constructing a statue of St. Mark and the statue of other allegorical figures. Near the stairway is located in the courtyard of Senators. Traditionally here during the solemn ceremonies of the gathered senators.

The stairway and the interior of the Palace

Staircase of the Giants takes its name from the two huge statues of Mars and Neptune, which are carved by Sansovino and his followers. She was designed by Antonio Rizzo in the late XV century. On the top of the stairs was a place for the ceremony of the coronation of the Doges. The staircase leads to the roofed gallery of the second floor. Along the gallery and inside the Palace often "lions ' mouths" - engraved heads of lions, which dropped the message and secret denunciations, which were the competence of different departments.

In the state rooms of the Palace, you can climb the "Golden staircase," designed by Sansovino in 1538 for Doge Andrea Gritti and finished Scarpagnino in 1559. The staircase, covered with gilded stucco, in the old days was meant for important guests and dignitaries.

In the hall Scarlatti gathered dignitaries scarlet togas, waiting for Doge for the official ceremonies. The luxurious finish of this room was executed under the direction of Pietro Lombardo. The rich wooden ceiling refers to the beginning of the XVI century. On the elegant marble fireplace set the coat of arms of Doge Agostino Barbarigo. Hall of Cards takes its name from the important maps that adorn the walls, made by Giovan Battista Ramusio in 1540 and Francesco Grassellini and Giustino, Menescardi in 1762. In the center of the room two large globe, Dating back to the XVII century.

In the hall of the College was going to be a Board, consisting of the Doge, six councilors, elders, heads of the Council of Ten and the Supreme Chancellor. Here was made the most important decisions of the government of the Republic. This hall was designed by Antonio da Ponte in 1574. Magnificent gilded carved ceiling by Francesco Bello and is a framed allegorical paintings of Paolo Veronese, among which stands out above the podium, "Venice enthroned".

The Senate room was reconstructed by Antonio da Ponte. The picture of the beautiful ceiling was made by Verona Cristoforo Sorte. The inserted panels created by different artists, including Tintoretto. In the hall of the Council of Ten met the Tribunal, who led the investigation, involving political crimes against the state. The Tribunal was headed by the Doge, and it consisted of ten members of the Grand Council and six councillors. Above this room was a prison cell, the so-called Piombo, with a lead ceiling, which was once enclosed Giacomo Casanova and Giordano Bruno. In the center of the ceiling placed a masterpiece by Paolo Veronese "Zeus striking lightning defects, taken in 1797 by the French in Paris and is still stored in the Louvre. Currently installed in this place the copy of the famous paintings made by Jacopo di Andrea.

Hall of the Great Council, occupies the entire South wing. Its length is 54 meters, width 25 meters and height 15 meters. It was adorned with masterpieces by Titian, Veronese, Tintoretto and other famous artists, but they all died in the fire of 1577. According to the project of Antonio da Ponte, the hall was reconstructed. Currently, the wall in the back of the hall completely covered the canvas, "Paradise", written by Jacopo Tintoretto and his son Domenico (1590). On the ceiling stands out a huge oval painting Paolo Veronese Triumph of Venice."

From the halls of the office of Laws and Management of criminal cases can be accessed in the corridor, which passes over the bridge of Sighs spanning the canal from the Palace, leads into the New prison, designed by architect Antonio da Ponte. On the bridge are two corridors: the top leads to the New Prison, and the bottom goes to the floor of the portico of the Doge's Palace. To the Old Prisons belonged Piombo under the lead roof of the Palace, and Pozzi being on the water levels of the Palace channel, in which are planted the most dangerous prisoners. Prison cell Pozzi for their wood veneer and miserable space to evoke the visitor gloomy feeling, and one can easily imagine the spirits of those who were imprisoned here.

Note

  • Location: 1 San Marco, piazzetta San Marco, 2, Venezia
  • How to get there: vaporetto S. Zaccaria"
  • Official website: http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/
  • Opening hours: daily summer 09.00-19.00 (ticket office before 18.00), winter 09.00-17.00 (ticket office until 16.00).
  • Tickets: ticket price - 20 Euro.