/ / The Palace CA’ Vendramin Calergi: photos, description Ca’ Vendramin Calergi)

The Palace CA’ Vendramin Calergi: photos, description Ca’ Vendramin Calergi)

CA’ Vendramin Calergi is a Palace in Venice, which stands on the banks of the Grand canal in the Cannaregio district. Also known under the names of the Palazzo Vendramin Calergi, Palazzo Loredana Vendramin Calergi and Palazzo Loredana Griman Calergi Vendramin. This is notable for its architecture, the building has welcomed many outstanding people, and here died the great composer Richard Wagner. Today in the Palazzo are casino "Casino di Venezia" and the Wagner Museum.

CA’ Vendramin Calergi was designed in the late 15th century by the architect Mauro Codussi, author of the Church of San Zaccaria and other religious buildings and private residences in Venice. The construction of the Palace began in 1481, the year and ended after the death of Codussi in 1509, the year. Spacious three-storey Palazzo stands on the shore of the Grand canal to get to it directly from the gondola. The beauty and elegance of the façade with its classical columns allocate the building among other buildings. Two pairs of tall French doors divided by a pillar with arches, and a window in the shape of a Shamrock. Luxurious paintings, sculptures and architectural details decorate the interior of the Palazzo. On the decorations of the arches of many of the rooms worked Baroque artist Mattia Bortoloni.

The first owner of CA’ Vendramin Calergi was Andrea and Loredana, a connoisseur of the fine arts, although the Palace was originally built for the Doge Leonardo Loredana. In 1581, the year the family of Loredana experiencing financial difficulties, sold the Palazzo for 50 thousand ducats to the Duke her Braunsweig-Wolfenbüttel, who was passionately fond of Venice. However, the Duke owned the Palace for only two years, and then sold it to the Marquis of Mantua, Guglielmo I Gonzaga, which in turn gave the Palazzo Vittore Calergi, Venetian nobleman, came from Crete Heraklion. In 1614, the year Calergi commissioned the architect, Vicenzo Scamozzi to expand the Palace - it was built the "White wing" with Windows overlooking the rear garden. In 1739, the year the Palazzo became the property of the Vendramin family, which owned it for over a hundred years. Then the building several times passed from hand to hand, until in 1946, the year was not purchased by the City Council of Venice. From 1959, the year it hosts the famous "Casino di Venezia", and in 1995-m to year was opened Wagner Museum dedicated to the memory of the composer, who died here of a heart attack. The Museum houses a collection of rare documents written Wagner letters, paintings, records and musical notes.