/ / The Palace CA’ Rezzonico: photo description (Ca’ Rezzonico)

The Palace CA’ Rezzonico: photo description (Ca’ Rezzonico)

CA’ Rezzonico Palace in Venice on the Grand canal. Today it houses a Museum dedicated to the history of the city in the 18th century and is part of the Foundation of the civic museums of Venice.

CA’ Rezzonico stands on the right Bank of the Grand canal, in the place where the canal connects with the Rio di San Barnaba. In the past there were two houses belonging to one of the aristocratic families of Venice - Bong. In 1649, the year the head of the family, Filippo Bon decided to build a Palace here. To this end, he hired Baldassare Longhena, the largest supporter of the Venetian Baroque style, which gradually replaced the Renaissance style. However, neither the architect nor his client never had a chance to see his creation - Longhena died in 1682, the year, and Bon went bankrupt.

The project involved the construction of three-storey marble facade facing the canal. On the first floor was located hidden in the recess of the portico without pediment, which was framed by two Windows. Above it was a so-called "piano Nobile" with arched Windows, separated from each other by columns, and above that was the third floor, almost identical to the second. Completed the building of a mezzanine floor of low oval Windows. The current building of the Palazzo was partially retained its original appearance, although it was completed only in 1756, the year the architect Giorgio Massari, hired specifically for this purpose by the new owners of the Palace - the Rezzonico family. This family was not of noble blood, but managed to become rich during the war with the Ottoman Empire and in the middle of the 17th century, bought himself a noble title. And in 1758, the year one of the offshoots of the family, Carlo Rezzonico became Pope Clement XIII.

In the same 1758, the year completed Palazzo was decorated - the room, facing the Rio di San Barnaba, was frescoed by Jacopo Guarana, Gaspare, Diziani and Giambattista Tiepolo. These murals and today remains one of the best preserved in Venice. Attraction of the Palace is its magnificent ballroom, its walls decorated with trompies Lombardo, Pietro Visconti, and on the ceiling you can see the image of Apollo riding his chariot between Europe, Asia, Africa and both Americas. From other rooms CA’ Rezzonico is to provide a Chapel and frescoed Wedding Hall. In the centre of the rectangular Palazzo is a small courtyard decorated with sculptures and a fountain. Here goes framed by columns, the balcony, the "piano Nobile".

In 1935-m to year CA’ Rezzonico was acquired by City Council of Venice, and now houses a collection of Venetian art of the 18th century. Here you can see numerous paintings by such artists as Pietro Longhi, Francesco Guardi and Giandomenico Tiepolo. In addition to the collection of antique furniture, the Museum houses a magnificent collection of Venetian glass. Today CA’ Rezzonico is one of the most popular museums in Venice.