/ / The Palace Casa Cavassa: photo description Casa Cavassa)

The Palace Casa Cavassa: photo description Casa Cavassa)

Casa Cavassa Palace in the Renaissance style in the town of Saluzzo, in the Italian Piedmont region. It hosts the City Museum. Casa Cavassa was the residence of Galeazzo Cavassa and his son Francesco, natives of the town of Carmagnola. They were both vicars of the marquises of Saluzzo. The history of the building goes back to the Middle ages - as evidenced by the old foundations and Lancet Windows of the facade facing the street via San Giovanni. From 1505, the year the building became the property of Francesco Cavassa. On his initiative, the restoration work was done on the basis of advanced for that time visual techniques characteristic of the Po plain. After restoration and work on extension of the building of it took the form of the letter L, which were connected by a spiral staircase. Just Caza Cavassa had six floors, three of which - the ground (they housed the kitchens, cellars and servants rooms). Living rooms and private apartments occupied the upper floors.

After Francesco, dislike the new Marquis Giovanni of Louis, was accused of political treason and executed, Casa Cavassa quickly fell into disrepair, but up until the 18th century remained the property of the family. Later the building was divided into several private apartments, which further worsened his overall condition.

In 1883, the year the building was bought by the Marquis Emmanuel d Capparelli Acello, diplomat and great connoisseur of art and Antiques. He hired Vittorio Avondo, artist, collector and future Director of the Museums of Turin, and engineer Melchiorre Pulciano for restoration. Together they tried to return to Casa Cavassa original Renaissance appearance - all that was considered inappropriate style, was gone, all that was supposed to be in the estate of the 16th century - were added. In order to re-furnish the room lost most of its furniture, was purchased many works of art, some of which belonged to the family Cavassa, and part dated to 15-16-th centuries and were bought from antique dealers. Marquis also asked local artists to recreate some items of furniture in the Renaissance style and late Gothic.

After the death of Taparelli d Azelio in 1890 year, Casa Cavassa became the property of the municipality of Saluzzo and was opened to the public. Today the building houses the City Museum, Casa Cavassa, which exhibits numerous works of art and furniture, Dating from the 15th century.