/ / The Palace of the Castello of Racconigi: pictures, description Castello Reale di Racconigi)

The Palace of the Castello of Racconigi: pictures, description Castello Reale di Racconigi)

The castle of Racconigi is a Palace and landscape Park in the town of Racconigi, province of Cuneo, Piedmont. Once the estate was the official residence of the Carignano family - one of the lines of the Savoy dynasty, so it was included in the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO along with other former Savoy residences.

The first mention of the castle Dating to the 11th century, when one Bernardino of Susa rebuilt an ancient manor, passing it to the monks Cistercians. From the 13th century, the castle was the possession of the electors of Saluzzo, and in the 16th century it was bought by the representatives of the Savoy dynasty. In 1630, the year the Duke Charles Emmanuel I granted the castle to his nephew Thomas Francis, Prince of Carignano, founder of the line of Savoy-Carignano. At that time the castle was a high brick fortress with a moat and four towers at the corners and a high donjon.

At the end of the 17th century, the son of Thomas, Emmanuel Filiberto, commissioned the architect Guarino Guarini to rebuild the fortress into a nobles residence. The architect was erected the Central section, where was located the courtyard, and was also built the roof in the shape of a pagoda. Two Northern towers were replaced by pavilions with domes and marble lamps. Around the castle and built gardens. A century later on the orders of Luigi Vittorio of Carignano was made restored the interior, increased two the South tower, added moldings and other decorations in the neoclassical style. Also at the end of the 18th century were equipped with a new entrance to the castle with four Corinthian columns and a sweeping staircase.

In the castle in 1904-the year was born last king of Italy - Humberto II. Received this castle as a wedding gift in 1930-th year, he founded in it a family art gallery, in which was stored about 3 thousand paintings and historical documents relating to the famous Turin shroud. In 1994, the year a large part of the castle of Racconigi and the surrounding Park was opened to the public.