/ / The Reggia di Venaria Reale: photo description (Reggia di Venaria Reale)

The Reggia di Venaria Reale: photo description (Reggia di Venaria Reale)

Reggia di Venaria Reale is a former Royal residence located in the town of Venaria Reale near Turin. In 1997, the year along with other Royal residences of the Savoy dynasty was inscribed on the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

The Palace was designed and built in the late 17th century by the architect Amedeo di Castellamonte on the orders of Duke Charles Emmanuel II who wanted to have a place to sleep during their hunting forays in and around Turin. The name of the town and the Palace comes from the Latin "venation, removes the toxin Regia", meaning "Royal hunt". The Duke was inspired by the Castello Mirafiori, built by Charles Emmanuel I for his wife Catherine's Spanish, and he decided to erect a similar monument in stone for himself and his wife Maria Giovanna of Savoy. For this, he bought two small villages at the Milan family Birago and dubbed this place the Venaria.

For the development of the project of the future Palace was hired architects Amedeo di Castellamonte and Michelangelo Garowe. In 1675, the year the Palace and the surrounding town was almost completely built, including the so-called Reggia di Diana (the official residence of Diana, goddess of the hunt, heart of the whole complex). Work, however, continued in the next century, as in 1693, the year the invasion of the French troops caused damage to many buildings, and the future king Victor Amadeus II several modifications have been made to the residence in accordance with French rules (he even invited the eminent architect Filippo Juvarra). In the reign of king Charles Emmanuel III's third wife died in the Palace during delivery, and after this tragic event the residence was used infrequently.

During the reign of Napoleon Reggia di Venaria Reale was turned into a barracks, and a large garden was used as a training ground. This state of Affairs continued after the fall of Napoleon - until 1978, the year when the Italian army sold the Palace and the land to the Ministry of culture. Soon restoration work began, and in 2007-m to year the Palace complex was open to the public.