/ / Palace Fondaco dei Turchi: photos, description (Fondaco dei Turchi)

Palace Fondaco dei Turchi: photos, description (Fondaco dei Turchi)

Fondaco dei Turchi, a Veneto - Byzantine Palace on the Grand canal in Venice. It was built in the first half of the 13th century Giacomo Palmiero, an exile from Pesaro. In 1381, the year the Palazzo was bought by the Venetian Republic, which gave the Marquis of Ferrara niccolò II d'este. Even then, the Palace is sometimes used as a temporary residence of many distinguished guests of the Republic.

Since the beginning of the 17th century and up until 1838, the year of the Fondaco dei Turchi was a sort of a ghetto consisting of a single building, for subjects of the Ottoman Empire - the Turks, hence its name. Later, it housed a warehouse and market for the Turkish traders. In those same years in Venice existed Fondaco dei Tedeschi - closed residential quarters for the Germans.

The inhabitants of the Fondaco dei Turks had imposed strict restrictions, for example, rigidly regulated the time of leaving the ghetto and the time of return. Controlled and trade, which led the Turks, and they in those years, imported to Venice wax, crude oil, and wool. After 1797, the year, by decree of Napoleon to the Republic of Venice ceased to exist, the Turks continued to live in the Palazzo.

By the mid-19th century the building was in terrible condition, and from 1860 to 1880-th years, it carried out restoration work. To the original Veneto-Byzantine style were added some new elements, for example, towers on both sides, which was not originally.

From 1890 till 1923, the first years in the Fondaco dei Turchi housed the Museo Correr, which is then moved to the building of Procuratie Nuove in Piazza San Marco. Today the Palazzo is the Museum of natural history of Venice with a collection of flora and fauna, and fossils, and an aquarium. In total it is exhibited more than 2 million items, divided into Botanical, entomological, ethnographic and Zoological collections.