/ / Giarratana: photos, description (Giarratana)

Giarratana: photos, description (Giarratana)

Giarratana is the smallest and the least populated city of the province of Ragusa, located just 34 km from the provincial capital. It lies between the slopes of the Iblei mountains and a vast plain on the banks of the river Irminio flowing from mount Lauro. Artificial dam built on the river 10 km from the city, played a large role in the development of local agriculture and tourism, as a result of its construction, it was formed a most beautiful lake.

Before the earthquake of 1693, the year the city of Giarratana stood in another place called Terravecchia. In its vicinity were discovered traces of prehistoric settlements of a more ancient Scalone and Donna Scala, which is believed was inhabited by tribes Shilov. Another ancient settlement of Monte Casale on mount Lauro is the place where once stood Kasmani, the mystical city and a military Outpost founded by the ancient Greeks.

The first mention of the actual Giarratana relate to the period of the Norman conquest of Sicily, when the rules Goffredo, count of Ragusa. According to others, in 1195, the year the king of Sicily Henry VI gave the city of Rinaldo Acquaviva. Giarratana later became part of the County of Modica, and still later was sold to the family of Settimo, which rule the city from 1454, the year. In 1693, the year the city was razed to the ground during the terrible earthquake, and it was decided to rebuild it in another, more Sunny position on a slope.

Today Giarratana is predominantly an agricultural town. Here they grow vegetables, olives, cereals and almonds. Special mention deserves the local onions, which is considered the largest and juicy from being grown in Sicily. He is devoted to the festival, held annually in August where you can try dozens of onion dishes.

The main sights of Giarratana are its religious buildings. The Church is the 13th century San Bartolomeo is a fine example of the Baroque Church, decorated with stucco and frescoes. Its Central nave is decorated with scenes from the old Testament, Dating from the early 19th century. Church of San Antonio abate, rebuilt in 1748, the year, notable for the impressive statues, for example, a sculpture of Madonna della Neve, patron of the city. Another Church, the Chiesa Madre, has a facade in the Renaissance style, and inside it houses many valuable works of art, for example, the "Pala del Annunziata" 1790 year, the statue of San Giuseppe and the wooden sculpture of St. Bartholomew. In the upper part of the city you can see the ruins of an ancient castle.

Between Giarratana and Palazzolo Acreide, on the road, climbing the hill with views of Bay, are the ruins of the ancient Greek colony Ismene (644 BC), and the small village of San Giacomo is known the so-called Masseria Torre di San Giacomo - restaurant and a farm where visitors can enjoy delicious home-made food and wine.