/ / The valley of Val di Rabbi: photo description (Val di Rabbi)

The valley of Val di Rabbi: photo description (Val di Rabbi)

Val di Rabbi valley in the territory of the Italian region of Trentino-Alto-Adige in Val di sole, where runs a rapid mountain stream, Rabbis. In the valley there are about 50 settlements located on both banks of the river. The most important are the towns Precoma, San Bernardo, Rabbi Fonti and Piazzola. The main source of income of the locals is tourism, since there are several Spa centres and the national Park of Stelvio, founded in 1935 year, and is one of the most important protected areas of Europe. In addition to the Val di Rabbi livestock development and produced excellent meat and milk, which are known since the times of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Finally, it is worth to mention iron-bearing springs in the majestic mountains and have long been used for medicinal purposes.

The development of Val di Rabbi began between the 11th and 12th centuries. First there were the farmers from the nearby towns of malè, Caldes and Terzolas. Gradually temporary settlements linked to the seasonal migration of livestock, have become more permanent, until the mid-15th century has not had a real population explosion. In 1513, the year was consecrated the Church of San Bernardo, which suggests that even in those times the valley was well populated. However, valley residents often suffered from various natural disasters, the worst of which was the flood of 1789, the year that destroyed many houses, bridges, mills and recopilan.

The current parish Church of the Val di Rabbi were built between 1957 and 1959, the years by the architect from Trentino Ephrem Ferrari on the site of a more ancient structure, first mentioned in the 15th century. The walls of granite blocks and sloping roof reminiscent of traditional Alpine architecture. The bell tower adjacent to the right wall of the building and on its facade one can see a fresco by Carlo Bonacina with the image of St. Bernard. The same artist painted, and the walls inside the Church. Single rectangular nave is half submerged in darkness, and most of the Church furnishings were taken from the old temple. Particularly noteworthy are the wooden alcove of the 18th century altarpiece and an image of Elia, Maurizio and the image Modanna rosary. In a small niche in the North wall is a stone baptismal font, 1513, the year.

A visit to the Val di Rabbi is incomplete without a visit to the national Park Stelvio with its amazing natural landscapes, waterfalls and the recently created path leading to the largest and the oldest in Trentino larch trees, "Scalinata dei larici of monumental".