/ / Valley of the Temples: photos, description (Valle dei Templi)

Valley of the Temples: photos, description (Valle dei Templi)

Valley of the Temples, located near the city of Agrigento in Sicily, is one of the most outstanding examples of art and architecture of greater Greece, as well as one of the main attractions of the island and a national monument of Italy. In 1997, the area of the valley was included in the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

I must say that the term "valley" in this case is not quite right, because the place located on a ridge outside Agrigento. Here are the ruins of seven temples built in the Doric style. A large part of the excavations in the valley and further the restoration of the temples took place because of the efforts of the renowned Italian archaeologist Domenico Antonio Lo Phase Pietrasanta, which from 1809 to 1812, the years bore the title of Duke of Serradifalco. Also, here in the valley, is the so-called Tomb of Theron - a huge monument of a pyramidal form, made of tuff and, as suggested, dedicated to the memory of the Romans, died during the Second Punic war.

The temple of Juno Lacinia was built on an artificial hill about 450 BC It had the dimensions 38,1 x 16.9 m and was surrounded by 19 columns. The building was severely damaged during the fire of 406 BC and restored in Roman times. Today former magnificence is preserved only the front colonnade with part of the architrave and frieze. Nearby are the burials of the Byzantine period.

To the North of the temple, Lacinia is the so-called temple of castor and Pollux, which actually was built in the 19th century from various parts of the other temples. It consists of 4 columns and entablature, placed at the base of the ancient temple size 31 x 13.3 meters.

Temple of Concord, thanks to its excellent state, is one of the most significant buildings of the Greek civilization, which survived until our days. He has roughly the same dimensions as the temple of Lacinia and also surrounded by columns. Outside and inside, its walls were covered with plaster, and the roof was covered with marble tiles. In Byzantine times the temple was converted in Christian Church: a pagan altar was destroyed, and in the Eastern corner was built the sacristy. Burials around the temple belong to the Middle ages.

The temple of Asklepios built in the late 5th century BC, stands in the center of the plain of San Gregorio. It is much less than the previous temples, and historians still doubt its purpose. In the sanctuary of the temple you can see a bronze statue of Apollo of the Greek sculptor Myron, the gift of the Roman General Publius Cornelius Scipio.

The temple of Hercules was erected in the late 6th century BC, and is considered to be one of the first temples built during the reign of Theron. However, different parts of the temple are of different age, which suggests that it was built for a long time or have been rebuilt. This is one of the largest churches of the valley - it has dimensions 67*25,3 meters and is surrounded by 21 Doric column. In its Eastern part the remains of a large altar.

On the other side of the road leading through the Golden Gate of the ancient city, lies a plain with huge Olympic field, on which stands the temple of Zeus and a few other buildings that are closed during the time of the excavation. From the once magnificent temple in ruins - the destruction began in antiquity and continued until the 18th century when the building was used as a quarry for the construction of town of Porto Empedocle.

It is also the temple of Vulcan, built in the 5th century BC Its scenery created in 560-550 BC, but was recently restored.