/ / Tindari archaeological zone: photos, description (Tindari)

Tindari archaeological zone: photos, description (Tindari)

The ancient town of Tindari was founded in 396 BC by Dionysius of Syracuse on a promontory on the North-Eastern coast of Sicily, 60 km West of Messina. The city name was given in honor of Tyndareus, the ruler of Sparta. Destroyed in the landslide and two earthquakes of Tindari was discovered during archaeological excavations in 1838, but most of the city ruins were excavated in the period from 1960 to 1998. There were discovered Roman mosaics, sculpture and pottery, which are now on display in the local Museum. In addition, the well preserved ruins of the city walls and the temple of the so-called Black Madonna.

Original city walls of Tindari, consisting of two parallel walls, separated from each other by a small gap had a length of about 3 km. Two square towers were on the top wall of the ancient staircase visible today. The main gate, located on the South-West was flanked by two other towers and were protected by a semicircular barrier with barbs. The space between them was paved with cobblestones.

On the Cape, which offers wonderful views of the Tyrrhenian sea, the Aeolian Islands and small lakes of Marinello away was located in a Greek amphitheater. It was rebuilt in the era of Ancient Rome. Today on its stage features musical and theatrical performances.

On the edge of the Cape stands the Shrine of the Black Madonna, which contained a statue of the blessed virgin Mary, carved from cedar and had a black color. She probably came here during the iconoclasm - the politico-religious movement in the first half of the 8th century. The temple was destroyed by the Algerian pirates in 1544 and restored several decades later. Every September it holds a festival in honor of the Black Madonna.

And at the foot of the Cape lie the lakes of Marinello, called "the parched sea" which is a curious sand formation with a few small ponds in the center. One of the most common legends, this place was formed after the fall of the little girl from the terrace of the temple. Miraculously, the child fell from the dizzying height, was found alive and unharmed. The girl's mother - the pilgrim came from afar - through the salvation of his child changed his mind about the statue of the Black Madonna, to which she harbored some mixed feelings because of the unusual color. According to another legend, on this very spot in the year 310 BC died Eusebio Pope, elected just a few months earlier. Presumably, he was banished to Sicily.

Near the beach is a small cave where, according to tradition, dwelt the witch, zamanilovka sailors with their singing, and devoured them. And when any of her victims refused to go to the cave witch in a rage plunged the fingers in the walls - hence there are numerous holes inside the cave.