/ / Egyptian Museum: photos, description (Museo Egizio)

Egyptian Museum: photos, description (Museo Egizio)

The Egyptian Museum in Turin, specializing in the archaeology and anthropology of Egypt. It holds one of the largest collections of Egyptian antiquities - more than 30 thousand artifacts. Annually the Museum is visited by half a million people.

The first Egyptian artifact, which in Turin in 1630, was the Mensa Isiaca table of sacrifice, who is believed to have been created for the temple of ISIS in Rome. This thing in 1753, prompted of king Charles Emmanuel III to equip a botanist, Vitaliano Donati to Egypt to purchase various ancient artifacts. Donati returned with 300 pieces from Karnak temple and town Cifta, which became the nucleus of the future to the Turin Museum.

In 1824 by king Charles Felix of the French General Consul, Bernardino Drovetti was purchased by its collection of Egyptian antiquities is just over 5200 items, including 100 statues, 170 papyri, stelae, mummies, etc. In the same year, the French historian-orientalist, linguist and founder of Egyptology Jean-françois Champollion with the help of the Turin papyri were trying to decipher the hieroglyphic script. With the name of Champollion, by the way, is a legend about the mysterious disappearance of papyrus, Papiro Reggio", which was found only many years later without some parts. In 1950, the year a parapsychologist "been in touch" with the spirit of the Egyptologist, to find the missing part of the papyrus, but to no avail.

In 1833 the collection of the Egyptian Museum was added to the collection of a native of Piedmont, Giuseppe Sossio more than 1200 objects, and in the 20th century it was added with the exhibits collected by the Egyptologist Ernesto We. The last significant acquisition of the Museum was a small temple Ellisii, which the Egyptian government presented to Italy for help in saving the Nubian monument in the 1960s.

Throughout these years, the Egyptian collection was kept in Turin, in a specially constructed building on via Accademia delle Scienze. Only in the years of the Second World war part of the collection were taken to the town of aglie in Piedmont.

Interesting fact: the Egyptian Museum houses the three different versions of the ancient book of the Dead. The public often show an illustrated version, we found, during excavations in 1906. Museum visitors are not repeatedly appealed to his Director with a request to hide an esoteric manuscript in an underground vault because, according to many, they have negative energy.