/ / Iesi: photo description (Iesi)

Iesi: photo description (Iesi)

Jesi is an important industrial and cultural center in the province of Ancona in the Italian region Marche, located on the left Bank of the river Esino 17 km from the Adriatic coast. Iesi was one of the main cities in Umbria, when in the 4th century BC, the territory was invaded by tribes of Simonov and turned it into a bulwark against the tribes Piceno. 283-m BC of Simonov expelled the Romans, and of Jesi in 247, the year BC became a Roman colony.

After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, iesi was repeatedly raided and pillaged first by the Ostrogoths and then the Lombards. With the end of the Gothic war, Italy became part of the Byzantine Empire, and iesi - one of the main centres and chair of the Bishop. Starting from 1130, the year the town became an independent commune, gradually began to expand its borders and to capture the surrounding areas. It was here in 1194, the year he was born the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, iesi subsequently bestowed the title of Royal City. In the 14-15-th centuries the town passed from hand to hand - it was ruled by papal governors, of the family of Malatesta, da Montone and Sforza. Last for some time turned iesi in its main stronghold in the Marche. But in 1447, the year the town became part of the Papal dominions, where he remained until the accession of Italy in the 19th century.

Among the main attractions of Jesi is called, first of all, a Cathedral built in the 13th-15th centuries, the Palazzo della Signoria of the 15th century with two rows of balconies, Palazzo Baleani with luxurious gilded mouldings and the convent of San Floriano of the 18th century. Preserved defensive city walls of the 14th century, built on the site of ancient Roman fortifications, and partially reconstructed in the 15th century. Of religious buildings stand out the Gothic Church of San Marco, built in the 13th century, the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie with the bell tower of the 17th century and the Romanesque Church of San nicolò with its Gothic portal. Also noteworthy Palazzo Ricci, whose facade is inspired by the famous Palazzo dei Diamanti in Ferrara, the building of the theatre Pergolesi late 18th century and Palazzo Pianetti is one of the most outstanding examples of Italian Rococo art. The wide facade of the last with a hundred Windows, and offers a patio the Italian garden. In Palazzo Pianetti today houses the municipal art gallery with works by Venetian painter Lorenzo Lotto.