/ / The diocesan Museum, (Museo Diocesano)

The diocesan Museum, (Museo Diocesano)

The diocesan Museum of Gaeta is a historic building, Palazzo De VIO, which belonged to the local native cardinal Tommaso De VIO. Over the past few centuries the Palazzo was reconstructed several times, which has completely changed its original appearance.

The idea of establishing a Diocesan Museum was founded in 1903, the year to mark the start of construction of a new facade of the Cathedral of Gaeta, dedicated to St. Erasmus, and the assumption of the virgin. It was also the beginning of the collection of medieval and later religious subjects. In subsequent years the collection was added paintings of the Central nave of the Cathedral, extant from the 13th century. Exhibits collected became the nucleus for the creation of an impressive collection of works of art and a small archaeological Museum. Among the exhibits were drawings of religious buildings destroyed during the Second World war, the destroyed and the secularized churches.

In 1950-ies was the final decision on the establishment of the Diocesan Museum, which was opened in the cloister of the Cathedral in 1956 year. And in 1998-m to year of collection of the Museum moved to a specially renovated Palazzo De VIO.

Today in the Diocesan Museum you can see paintings on canvas and wood, starting in the 13th century and until the second half of the 19th century. All work, most of which are devoted to religious topics is the exhibits from the old Museum, the Cathedral and other churches, now closed for worship. In the here presented paintings to trace the development of ideas of Campaigns over several centuries. In General, this collection is the largest in the southern Italian region of Lombardy, which today is Gaeta.

A great number of paintings in the Museum owned by a local artist Giovanni Gaeta, who worked in the second half of the 15th century. Among other artists - artists Poolzone Scipio, by Sebastiano Conca, Riccardo Quartararo, Teodoro d errico known as the Dutchman, Girolamo Imparato, Fabrizio Santafede etc.

In the private sitting room of Palazzo De VIO, you can see two Byzantine cross, a monstrance and a chalice of Pope Pius IX mid 19th century. In the halls where the gallery exhibited choirs 1569-70-years of work Vincenzo Ponta.