/ / Valentino castle: photos, description (Castello del Valentino)

Valentino castle: photos, description (Castello del Valentino)

Valentino castle (Castello del Valentino) is an historic house in Turin, located in the eponymous Park and occupied by the Architectural Department of the Polytechnic University of Turin. It is also one of the Royal residences of the Savoy dynasty, in 1997 a UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

The ancient castle was bought by Duke Emmanuel Filiberto of Savoy on the advice of Andrea Palladio. The name Castello del Valentino, for the first time in 1275, probably derived from the name of St. Valentine, worshiped in a nearby Church. The current structure owes its appearance of Princess Cristina Maria of France, wife of Victor Amadeus I, who lived in the castle since 1630.

Castello del Valentino has a horseshoe shape with four round corner towers and a spacious courtyard paved with marble. The ceilings of the upper floors is designed in a typical Alpine style. On the facade of the castle flaunts a huge family coat of arms of Savoy.

At the beginning of the 19th century the castle was carried out some restoration work, since most of the interior was damaged by French troops during the Napoleonic wars. But then Castello del Valentino for some time was abandoned and gradually began to decline. Only in 1860 after the building was selected for the engineering faculty of Turin, the restoration work began. On the castle land is also located the Botanical garden of the University of Turin.

We should also say about the Park Valentino, in whose territory is the castle. It is a popular place of rest among the citizens. The Park stretches along the West Bank of the river Po in the area of 500 thousand sq. m. is the second largest Park in Turin after the Park Pellerina. The Valentino Park was built in 1856, the year and, by the way, was the first public Park in Italy. On its territory, in addition to the above the castle and the Botanical garden, you can see a medieval Villa, Villa Glicini, underground pavilions of the Turin exhibition and the special exhibition dedicated to Enzo Ferrari.