/ / Castle Duino: photo description (Castello di Duino)

Castle Duino: photo description (Castello di Duino)

The Duino castle is located few kilometres from Trieste on the Adriatic Riviera of Italy, has an ancient and very notable story. It was built in 1300-ies on the ruins of a Roman Outpost on a steep cliff overlooking the sea. This place has a beautiful view of the Bay and the Park of the castle with his bunker during the Second World war and the trail of Rainer Maria Rilke gives an idea of the characteristic scenery of Northern Italy.

Duino castle is a massive structure with a tower of the 16th century. Exactly next to this tower there was another, older castle, probably dedicated to the cult of the Sun God. And today Duino associated with a tragic legend of the White Lady. The name of this came to light because of the snow-white cliffs, visible from the sea and which has a shape of a woman wrapped in a long veil. According to legend, an evil king threw this rock with his wife, and sky, resealable death scream of the girl, turned her to stone before she touched the water. They say that every night the White Lady comes out from the rock and roams the rooms of the castle until dawn.

Over the last 400 years, the castle of Duino is the property of the princes Von Thurn und taxis who live in it. Since 2003, the year most of the castle on the initiative of the owners is open to tourists who can explore the rich collection of works of art and historical relics.

Once in this castle stayed mysterious poet Rainer Maria Rilke, who wrote here his first two Duino Elegies. In memory of this event the name of the poet was called the lookout trail is 2 km away. opened after the restoration in 1987-m to year, it stretches along a steep cliff from Duino to the Bay of Sistiana, with its striking views. Steps from trails, a Park of the castle with its ancient trees, lawns and flower beds. One of the attractions of the Park is the bunker of times of World war II, developed in 2006-m year in the original Museum. The bunker was carved in the rock in 1943 the Germans to protect the Bay of Sistiana against attacks from the Allies.