/ / Issogne castle: photos, description Castello di Issogne)

Issogne castle: photos, description Castello di Issogne)

To Issogne castle, which stands on the right Bank of the river Dora, Baltea in the town of Issogne, is one of the most famous estates of the Italian region of Val d'aosta. This aristocratic residence of the Renaissance is very different in appearance from fairly austere Castello di Verres, standing on the opposite Bank of the river. The main attractions of Castello di Issogne are its fountain in the shape of pomegranate and richly decorated portico with rare examples of medieval Alpine painting and a cycle of frescoes depicting scenes from everyday life of the late middle Ages.

The first mention of the castle of Issogne treat 1151-th year - then it was a fortified structure belonging to the Bishop of Aosta. And some of the walls discovered in the cellars of the castle, can be fragments of a Roman Villa of the 1st century BC To 1333, the year the tensions between the Bishop of Aosta and the family of De Verrochio, the rulers of the town of Verres, has reached its limit, and the Castello di Issogne was attacked and severely damaged during a fire. In 1379, the year the castle became the property of Governor Verres Ibleto di Challans. He turned the Bishop's fortress into an elegant residence in the Gothic style with several towers and office space. In the 15th century by the erection of new buildings, the castle gained the shape of a horseshoe with a courtyard in the center. It was then made decorations of the portico and above a fountain in the shape of a pomegranate tree. Then, until the beginning of the 19th century, the castle passed from hand to hand, but remained the property of the same family - Challans, until in 1802, the year died the last representative of the genus. Castello di Issogne, by the time for several years was in ruins, completely devastated. Only at the end of the 19th century the Turin painter Vittorio Avondo, bought the castle, restored and re-furnished the antique furniture. In 1907, the year of Avondo gave the castle to the government of Italy, and in 1948, the year he became the property of the government of the Autonomous region of Val d'aosta. Today, Castello di Issogne is open to visitors.

Courtyard of Castello di Issogne, on three sides bounded by buildings and gardens, forms one of the most interesting spaces of the castle. It is accessible through the entrance on the West side. The facades of the castle facing the courtyard, decorated with frescoes depicting the heraldic emblems of the various branches of the genus Challans. In the center stands the fountain of octagonal stone bowl grows the pomegranate tree, made of wrought iron. When the leaves have an unusual "tree" does not belong to a grenade, and oak, and between them is placed a tiny dragonfly.

In the Eastern part of the courtyard is the famous portico with round arches and groin vaults. It it was carried through the main entrance to the castle. Just Castello di Issogne, there are about 50 rooms, although only 10 of them are open to tourists. On the ground floor are the dining room with furniture of the 19th century, a kitchen separated by wooden lattice into two parts, the so-called "hall of justice", entirely frescoed and decorated with marble columns, an infirmary and offices. On the second floor that leads to a stone spiral staircase, are the chambers of the owners of the castle and a small chapel. Finally, on the third floor you can see the room known as the Camera di San Maurizio", with a large stone fireplace, private little chapel Giorgio di Challans, the so-called "Hall of the King of France, which in the 15th century the hotel has hosted king Charles VIII, the "Tower Room" and the "little Countess".

In the East wing of the Castello di Issogne, closed for visits, is a covered gallery with groin vaults. According to legend, on moonlit nights on the roof of the gallery you can see the Ghost of Bianca Maria Gaspardone, the first wife of Renato di Challans, sentenced to death for the murder of her lover and executed in 1526, the year.