/ / The Castello Vignola: photo, description Castello Vignola)

The Castello Vignola: photo, description Castello Vignola)

Vignola Castello, formerly known as the Castello Boncompagni's Ludovisi castle in the region of Emilia-Romagna near Modena. This is perhaps the most important and most cherished cultural symbol of Vignola. For this area, and for the entire region, is a symbol of the Emilian culture, a kind of "melting pot" of Italian and European civilizations, which is reflected in the blend of architectural styles.

It is not known when the castle was built Vignola Castello, but we can assume that its construction refers to the period when ended the reign of the Carolingian dynasty and began the invasion of the barbarians on the Apennine Peninsula, - it was then built towers and fortifications to protect local residents. It is believed that the first fortress appeared here thanks to the Abbey of Nonantola, although, according to the documents of the mid-10th century, these lands were under the jurisdiction of the bishopric of Modena. Until the mid-14th century castle - La Rocca - was a fortification, but later, when came to power lords contrari, its function has changed radically. The members of dynasty d'este gave the family contrari castle and vast lands around it in 1401, the year after which the old fortress was converted into a luxurious residence, richly decorated with frescoes and stucco, are able to meet the needs of an aristocratic family in comfort and abundance. After the contrari dynasty ceased to exist, La Rocca was purchased by the family Boncompagni-Ludovisi in 1577-the year, although the members of the family never directly ruled its possession. For this reason, in the 19th century the castle became the residence for some public institutions - City Council, libraries and offices of the Bank by Vignola.

La Rocca consists of five floors. Located on the first two luxury rooms - contrari Room and the Hall Grassone now used for concerts and conferences. Other rooms - Leonie (Leo), Leopardi (Leopards), Colombes (Doves), anell (Ring) is used for exhibitions. On the second floor of an aristocratic residence Hall delle Dame, Padiglione, Hall Stemmi dei, dei Hall of Tronchi d Albero and a chapel decorated with a cycle of frescoes from the late Gothic period. Even higher are the rooms in which were housed the soldiers who defended La Rocca, and servants. Finally, at the very top you can find a path with handrails that goes around the castle and connects the three towers of Nonantola, Donna and Pennello.

Purchased in 1965 year, the Bank Vignola, the castle has been carefully restored as from the point of view of architecture, and in terms of decorations and frescoes.