/ / The Castello del Principe: a photo, description Castello del Principe)

The Castello del Principe: a photo, description Castello del Principe)

The Castello del Principe in the resort town of Belvedere Marittimo is one of the most beautiful and well preserved castles of the Italian region of Calabria. It was built in the second half of the 11th century by order of the Norman ruler Roger. Probably originally its dimensions were somewhat smaller than present, and the building itself was built on the site of pre-existing Byzantine settlement. Subsequently, the Princely castle was converted into an aristocratic residence of the lords of Belvedere Marittimo. Then it got its present name, Castello del Principe (the Prince).

For centuries the castle was owned by a variety of noble and influential family. In 1269, the year he moved from Charles I of Anjou to Giovanni di Oporto, was then the property of Baron Simone di Belvidere, and in 1287-89 the years, the castle was restored by the feudal Lord, Ruggero di Sangineto. The Sangineto family owned Castello del Principe until 1376, the year, and then again began the half-century "regime change".

When, in 1426, the year the Kingdom of Naples was captured by the Aragonese, many fiefs were confiscated. Among them was a Princely castle. By order of Ferdinando of Aragon, Castello del Principe with castles, Altomonte and Corigliano were fortified (at the same time the castle was built in Pizzo). In 1490, the year the castle was built a drawbridge, and it was built around a wall with two cylindrical towers with battlements. Today above the main entrance to the castle you can see the Aragonese coat of arms, with two cupids. In 1494, the year the owners of Castello del Principe is a family of Sanseverino, which owned it until 1595, the year, and then the owner of the castle was the family of the Carafa.

Royal castle Belvedere Marittimo is a square building with two towers, facing South. These towers and wall surrounding the castle, is a typical defensive elements of the Aragonese era. From the South and West sides are visible remains of the defensive ditch and a small hole in which attached chains of the drawbridge. Today Castello del Principe is a national monument, and its plaster model can be seen in the Park "Italy in miniature" in Rimini.