/ / The Castello di Soncino: pictures, description Castello di Soncino)

The Castello di Soncino: pictures, description Castello di Soncino)

The Castello di Soncino located in the town of Soncino in Lombardy, was built in the 10th century and played a crucial role in the defense of the territory of the modern province of Cremona in the 16th century. Today it is a typical example of a Lombard castle.

The history of Castello di Soncino dates back to the 10th century, when around primitive fortifications was erected the first wall. In the 13th century the castle was several times besieged by the Milanese and presently, and in 1283, the year was reconstructed. In 1312, the year Costello took clemency, and at the end of the same century the Milanese used it in their war against the Venetians, which led to the fact that in 1426, the year the castle wall was seriously reinforced. In the mid-15th century and the Soncino castle became the property of the Duchy of Milan. By order of Francesco Sforza, the structure was fortified, and then, in 1471, and 1473, respectively, over him again job military engineers. In 1536, the year the town of Soncino received the status of marquisate and passed into the possession of the Milanese family of the stump, upon whose initiative the castle was rebuilt and turned into an aristocratic residence. Stampa also invited to decorate the castle by such prominent artists as Bernardino Gatti and Vincenzo Campi. In 1876, the year the last representative of the family Stampa gave to Castello di Soncino to the property of the commune.

Once you get to the castle could only be passed by lifting the wooden bridge, but in the 19th century it was replaced by a Ravelin. Over the main portal is located the yard, which at last maneuvered the troops, and at the other courtyard, in the center was the well that supplied the castle with water. From the four towers of the Castello di Soncino deserves special attention Torre del Castellano, named so because before it served as the official residence of the ruler of the castle. It is directly connected with the underground tunnels that led to the defensive ditch, - it allowed the caretaker of the castle to escape unnoticed in the event of an attack. One tower, South-East, a remarkable chapel, built by order of Marquis of the stump. It is still possible to see fragments of frescoes, the oldest of which date back to the 15th century. Finally, the Round tower - the only one in the castle has such a form. On the first floor is a round room with a round arch in the center of which you can see the column in the form of a cylinder leading to the roof. This tower was used as observation tower. Inside it are ancient frescoes, family coat of arms and the crucifixion, now in poor condition. Maybe once the tower was also a chapel.