/ / The Castello di Fenis: pictures, description (Castello di Fenis)

The Castello di Fenis: pictures, description (Castello di Fenis)

The medieval castle, Castello di Fenis is in the small town of Fenis, about 13 km from Aosta, the centre of the Italian Autonomous region of Val d'aosta. This is one of the most famous castles in the entire valley - it is notable for its architecture, its many towers and thick walls with loopholes. Because of this Castello di Fenis always enjoys popularity among tourists.

The first mention of the castle is dated to 1242, the year when it was the property of the viscounts of Aosta, the family Challans. Probably at that time it was a tower surrounded by walls. And from 1320 to 1420, the first years on the initiative of Simon Challans and his son Boniface I the castle was considerably expanded and acquired its present appearance.

When Simon Castello di Fenis received pentagonal shape, at the same time was built the outer ramparts and many towers. In 1392, the year Boniface began a second building campaign was then built stairs and balconies in the courtyard and dungeon. He invited the artist from Piedmont Giacomo Jaquerio for painting the chapel and the walls of the patio. It was under Boniface, the castle has survived the period of its greatest prosperity - it was a luxurious building surrounded by gardens, vineyards and a Park, where walked the lords and their guests.

Castello di Fenis belonged to the family of Challans up to 1716, the year when one of the members of the genus, Georges Francois de Challans, was forced to sell the estate for debts. Thus began a period of decline of the castle - it turned into a typical country residence, and later it housed the stables and the barn. Only in 1895, the year the castle was bought by the architect Alfredo d ' Andrade, the initiative which began large-scale reconstruction of the structure. In 1935, the year De Vecchi and Maturino again restored the castle and gave it its current appearance. In those same years, the rooms were furnished with antique furniture.

Today, Castello de Fenis is owned by the Regional Council of the Val d'aosta, which has turned it into a Museum. The main donjon of the castle has the shape of a Pentagon with towers at the corners. It is surrounded by a double defensive wall and a number of watchtowers connected by bridges. In spite of its fearsome appearance, the Castello di Fenis stands on top of a tiny hill, not on the Cape or some other inaccessible spot, because the family Challans it is not built as a military fortress, but as his residence.

In the courtyard, in the center of the dungeon, you can see a semi-circular stone staircase and wooden balconies. On the top of the stairs is placed a fresco of the 15th century image of St. George defeating the dragon, and the walls of the balconies are decorated with images of sages and Magi, and sayings in old French language. The castle itself is divided into three levels: the first one was an Armory, a kitchen, a shed for wood storage and a cistern for collecting rainwater. The second floor was given over to the private quarters of the owners of the castle. There's also built a small chapel with frescoes by Giacomo Jaquerio. Finally, on the third floor and the servants lived - today, the access is closed.