/ / The Castello Doria: photos, description (Castello Doria)

The Castello Doria: photos, description (Castello Doria)

Castello Doria was built in the heart of the town of Angri, in the Italian region of Campania around 1290, the year when king Charles II of Anjou gave these lands into the possession of a mercenary Pietro Brugherio. The castle stands in a strategically important place and dominates the whole valley of the river Sarno.

In 1421, the year, during the battles between the Angevin and Aragonese dynasties for the throne of the Kingdom of Naples, the castle was destroyed by the troops of Braccio da Montone and rebuilt only a few decades later. In the course of the reconstruction the castle was built two-storey tower. In the mid-17th century, the Castello became the property of the Prince Marcantonio Doria of the powerful Genoese family of Doria, who commissioned the architect Antonio Francesconi to restore the structure. As a result, fortification was transformed into a Baroque residence, however, the tower and the moat are preserved. Then the fortress began to carry the name Doria. Later, in the second half of the 18th century, the castle was again expanded, built new balconies and stairs, as well as was a spacious Park with lawns and old trees. In 1908, the year of the Castello Doria was purchased by the municipality of Angri and turned into a city Park with a guest house and a casino. After the earthquake of 1980, the year the castle was renovated and today is considered a real symbol of Angri - it hosts various cultural events.