/ / The Castello Svevo, photo, description (Castello Svevo)

The Castello Svevo, photo, description (Castello Svevo)

The Norman castle of Svevo Castello in Cosenza, also known as Hohenstaufen castle, rises on the hill of Colle Pancrazio, and has long been considered a symbol of the Calabrian town. Despite its name, it was built by pirates Saracens on the ruins of the ancient fortress Rocca Brutia about 1000 year. At the beginning of the 12th century, the structure was fortified on the orders of the Norman ruler, Roger II, but this did not save him from the terrible earthquake of 1184, the year. The castle was destroyed and restored only in 1239, the year by order of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, when it was attached octagonal tower. Then the castle had the shape of a rectangle with multiple floors and towers at the corners - two square and two polygonal. According to legend, the powerful and power-hungry Frederick was imprisoned in the Castello Svevo's own son Henry, who dared to raise a rebellion against his father.

In 1433, the year of the military fortress, the castle was turned into an aristocratic residence of Louis III of Anjou and his wife Margarita, daughter of the king of Savoy Amedeo VIII. But despite this, even at the beginning of the 16th century Castello Svevo remained one of the most important military FORTS South of Calabria. Around 1540, the year it housed an Armory and later a prison. In 1630, the year began a long period of decline, when several earthquakes had destroyed the upper floors of the castle, balustrades, and towers. Only in the mid-18th century, the building was transferred to the Archbishop of Cosenza to accommodate the Seminary, and at the beginning of the 19th century, renovated.

Today, all traces of the original Saracenic structure is lost. In the courtyard of the Castello Svevo is possible to see traces of reconstruction undertaken by the Bourbons in the 19th century turned the castle into a prison, and in the lobby - arches with engravings. A wide hallway decorated with family coat of arms of the Angevin dynasty featuring the Fleur-de-Lys (heraldic lilies). From the top floor of the castle, to which a staircase of the 17th century, you can admire the panorama of the Valle del Kratie, the Sila mountains and predependencies hills.