/ / The Castello, Katya: photos, description Castello di Catajo)

The Castello, Katya: photos, description Castello di Catajo)

Castello, CATIA - old castle, located in the vicinity of the thermal Spa of Abano Terme. He is on the road leading from Padova to Battaglia Terme. This is a somewhat gloomy building, with its rich history and mysterious legends was built for the family, Obizzi, and during its heyday was home to one of the largest collections of archaeological artifacts in the region of Veneto.

The story of the origin of the castle is still not completely clear. According to one version, the name of Katia comes from the word "Cathay" - that of the great Venetian traveler Marco Polo called legendary and exotic China. Another, more prosaic version, the name of the castle comes from the name of the place where it is located - CA’ del Tajo.

Castello, Katia was built in just three years, from 1570 to 1573 at the order of PIO ENEA degli Obizzi, inventor of the howitzer. Its main purpose was to serve as the epitome of the greatness of the family of Obizzi, hired military, originally came from Burgundy and had moved to Italy following the Emperor Arrigo II. The castle was literally "dug" in the rock. Inside is preserved a valuable fresco cycle painted by Zelotti, a pupil of Veronese. The castle itself is surrounded by several parks, the most notable of which is the Parco delle Delizie with its magnolias and American redwoods.

In the 17th century the castle of Catajo was expanded on the orders of PIO ENEA II and decorated with various works of art. The last representative of the family, Obizzi, Tommaso, extravagant and even violent man, worked on increasing collections and created in the castle gallery, which kept archaeological finds. After the death of a young wife grieving Tommaso was built in her honor in the Park, Katya Cenotaph (empty tomb), and even minted a new coin. Tommaso died in 1805, leaving the family Estense castle and all collection which at that time was considered one of the wonders of the Veneto region (even here you could see the friezes of the Pantheon). Later, the castle owned by the Habsburgs, who took almost all the collections in Vienna and Prague. After the First world war, the castle was handed over to the Italian Government, which in 1929 sold it to the dalla Francesca family, the current owners.

In Castello, Katya is a stone with blood stains that belonged to Lucrezia degli Obizzi, she was brutally murdered here in 1654, the year rejected admirer. They say the Ghost of Lucrezia still wanders through the galleries of the castle, and many visitors saw a shadow in the high Windows of the castle. And in the alcove in the lobby is a statue of some Gabriny - life she was an evil shrew, as the inscription on the statue, and remained such after death: if you come closer to the statue to read the inscription, you will hit the stream of water.