/ / The Castello Corigliano: photos, description Castello di Corigliano)

The Castello Corigliano: photos, description Castello di Corigliano)

The Castello Corigliano, built in the 11th century, is located in the town of Corigliano Calabro, in the Italian region Calabria, province Cosenza. It was erected by order of the Norman ruler Robert Guiscard, as part of the defense system in the Valle Kratie to protect against the Byzantines. Up to the 18th century Castello Corigliano was known as the Palazzo Sangro. Interestingly, in addition to the castle town of Corigliano Calabro is famous for the fact that there are already 122 Church!

Despite the fact that the castle was rebuilt several times, it has retained some original elements. The first reconstruction was undertaken by count Roberto Sanseverino IV 1339-1361-m years. He adapted the castle to stay, because before that it was used exclusively for military purposes. It was in this castle in 1345, the year was born the future king of Naples Charles III Small. At the end of the 15th century Castello Corigliano has a military garrison. Then he was again slightly modified. Further reconstruction took place in the beginning and in the middle of the 16th century and the late 17th century. Then there was built a low corner tower with eight sides and the chapel of Sant'agostino.

In the 18th century, the castle occupying the highest point of the city, became property of the Dukes of Corigliano, who gave him a new name in honor of his family. And in the 19th century, it was last rebuilt by the architect Gaetano Genovesi. Today the castle is part of the Department of Eastern University, and another part as a historical Museum. In addition here like to spend family celebrations and various cultural events. Especially popular are the Hall of mirrors with an area of about 200 sq m and a gallery of piano delle Servite. Castello Corigliano with its thick walls and formidable appearance, is perhaps one of the most well preserved castles in southern Italy.