/ / The Castello Rivoli: photo description (Castello Rivoli)

The Castello Rivoli: photo description (Castello Rivoli)

Castello of Rivoli is a former residence of the Royal of the house of Savoy in Rivoli (province of Turin). Today, the castle houses the Museum of contemporary art of Turin.

Castello Rivoli was presumably built in the 9th and 10th centuries, but the first mention of it found only in 1159, the year in a document of Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, by which land is transferred Rivoli diocese of Turin. Dynasty of Savoy acquired Rivoli in the 11th century, and soon between them and local bishops began a feud. In 1184, the year that affected the castle, which suffered greatly. In 1330, the year by order of Amadeus VI of Savoy in the Castello Rivoli, was transferred by Consiglio dei Principi - Supreme administrative Council of the rural areas. By the way, in this castle to the public was first shown the main relic of the Christian world, the shroud of Turin (on the way to Turin in the reign of Amadeus IX).

After a period of decline, Kato Cambresis the Treaty that ended the Italian wars (1559-th year), ruled that Duke Emmanuel Philibert could not remain in Turin until he had not born a male heir. The Duke remained nothing how to leave in the country residence in the Castello Rivoli, which at that time was restored by architect Ascanio, Vitozzi. In 1562, the year was born the future king Charles Emmanuel I, Duke Philibert returned to Turin. However, the restoration of Castello Rivoli and its further decoration continued until 1664, the year under the guidance of architects Carlo and Amedeo di Castellamonte. In these years was built the so-called Manica Lunga gallery. This is the only part of the building dates back to the 17th century, which survived until our days. However, a huge amount of artwork stored in the gallery, it was stolen by French troops in subsequent years.

By order of the king Victor Amadeus II the great architect Filippo Juvarra undertook the construction of a new facade for the Castello Rivoli, but this work remained unfinished. The king himself lived in the castle together with his morganatic wife, the Marquise di Spigno after he abdicated the throne, and some time later tried to regain power. After the death of Victor Amadeus II, the castle was abandoned, and in 1863, the year turned into barracks.

Castello Rivoli was seriously damaged during the Second World war and remained abandoned until 1979, the year when restoration work began, which lasted five years. In 1984, the Castello Rivoli was opened the Museum of contemporary art of Turin, is now considered one of the most famous in Europe.