/ / The Castello San Nicola de Toro-PLANO: photo description (Castello di San Nicola de Thoro-Plano)

The Castello San Nicola de Toro-PLANO: photo description (Castello di San Nicola de Thoro-Plano)

Castello San Nicola de Toro-PLANO castle, towering on the hill above the villages of Accola and Carpineto, one of the main attractions of the resort town of Maiori. In fact, these ancient ruins can hardly be called a castle in the literal sense, but protected and fortified area allows to imagine the scale of the structure in the past. Once this fortress was designed to protect the local population from the frequent raids of criminals, from Lombardy, and later - from the pirates. The construction of the castle began in 840 year, a few years after the death of the Lombard count of Benevento, nicknamed Ricardo. A year before his death, Ricardo literally wiped off the face of the earth many settlements on the Amalfi coast.

Castello San Nicola de Toro-PLANO was built near the ancient Church of the same name. Later, however, 1465-1468 th years, by order of the Duke Piccolomini, the ruler of the Duchy of Amalfi, the castle was reconstructed and extended in this form it has reached our days. At the end of the 15th century historian Michelangelo Gizzi of Ravello wrote: "Noble and strong ground Maiori with its towers built near the sea and equipped with guns, and thanks to a well-armed castle, built on the highest rock, was a virtually impregnable".

The castle, as mentioned above, included an ancient Church with a bell tower dedicated to San Nicolas de Toro PLANO. Toro-PLANO" means a mound, a small hillock, as opposed to the "torus clivus" - steep hill, which is now known as Thorin or Tuoro. On this hill in the 9th century there was also built a moated castle of San Michele Arcangelo is its location allowed you to send in Castello de Toro-PLANO signals in case of danger.

Inside Castello de Toro-PLANO once housed the barracks and the trenches, able to take a large battalion of soldiers or shelter hundreds of local residents. In the Western part were warehouses and water tanks, also in the castle was the source of Lupara fossa, which could supply fresh water in case of a long siege.

Castello de Toro-PLANO has retained its original shape of a polyhedron with a perimeter of 550 metres. Battlements with eyes and buttresses separated by nine small cylindrical towers with a height of about 8 meters and 5 meters in diameter.