/ / Castel Gardena: photo description (Castel Gardena)

Castel Gardena: photo description (Castel Gardena)

Castel Gardena, also known as Fishburg is located at the foot of the Sassolungo mountain peak in the town of Santa Cristina Gardena, in the Italian region Trentino-Alto Adige / südtirol. The original name of the castle - Fishburg means "lock the fish" and comes from numerous small lakes that are the first owner of the castle was ordered to dig for trout breeding.

Castello Gardena was built in 1641, the year on the initiative of the counts of Wolkenstein. Probably, in the creation of the project of the castle in 1625, the year was attended by the architect and sculptor from Schongau, Hans Reichle, pupil of Giambologna. He designed the castle as a living residence and hunting Palace in the Renaissance style, adding some architectural elements of the fortified castle. As mentioned above, the German name of the castle - Fishburg - owes its origin to one of the counts of Wolkenstein, a passionate angler who ordered in the surrounding area were dug several ponds for trout breeding. According to contemporaries, fishing gave the box a true pleasure.

Castello garden behind the forest-covered slope, on which in our time was laid the ski slopes of Selva and Santa Cristina. Today the castle belongs to the family of the Baron Andrea Franchetti, who lives here in the summer. That is why the castle is closed to visitors, although summer on the occasion of the music festival of Bulgardaghica in his court concerts.

Castello garden and the bell tower of the local Church, depicted on the emblem of the town of Santa Cristina Valgardena. In addition, you can see the small chapel of Burgkapelle, built in the 1930-ies on the mountain Monte Pana Austrian architect Franz Baumann, she attracts the attention of a strict form fit the surrounding Alpine landscape.