/ / Castel Sant'elmo: photos, description (Castel Sant'elmo)

Castel Sant'elmo: photos, description (Castel Sant'elmo)

Castel Sant'elmo is a medieval fortress in Naples, located on a hilltop near the Certosa di San Martino. The name of the fortress derives from the name which stood here in the 10th century Church, Sant'erasmo, shortened to Ermo and later changed to Elmo. Today, there are Museum, exhibition hall and various offices.

The documents indicate that the castle was built in the late 13th century during the reign of king Charles of Anjou. It was originally known as Belforte and was a fortified residence, surrounded by walls, with an entrance framed by two gun towers. In 1329, the year on the orders of king Robert of Naples, the castle was enlarged under the direction of Sienese architect Tino da Camaiano, who was also responsible for the construction of the nearby Carthusian monastery of San Martino. By the mid-14th century, the fortress had been turned into a castle known as Castrum Sancti, Erasmi. A century later it was seriously damaged during the earthquake - collapsed walls and towers. Only 1537-1547 the years, the castle was restored by the Spanish military architect Pedro Luis escrivá and took the form of hexagonal stars, although this project has caused great disapproval among his contemporaries.

A while Castel Sant Elmo served as an Autonomous military Outpost, and its ruler had full power in civil and military matters. Around the parade ground were located the soldiers 'and officers' barracks, the house chaplain and a Church built by the Spanish architect Pietro Prato.

In 1587, the year in the Armory of the castle was struck by lightning and it exploded, destroying the Church, the house of the chaplain and barracks. Their restoration was carried out only in the late 16th - early 17th centuries.

Despite numerous reconstructions, the castle has kept its original structure. Built of volcanic tuff, it towers over Naples and reminds of the glorious history of the city. Since the mid-19th century until 1952, the year the castle housed a military prison, then, for another two decades, he remained in military custody. In 1976, the year started on a project for the reconstruction of the castle, which lasted seven years and resulted in the transformation of the military fortress into a Museum. Its upper floors housed the library Bruno Molajoli, and the former parapets and underground rooms were turned into exhibition spaces.