/ / Castle of Mola di Bari: photo description (Castello Mola di Bari)

Castle of Mola di Bari: photo description (Castello Mola di Bari)

Castle of Mola di Bari, also known as the Maschio Angioino castle, located in the small town of Mola di Bari, 20 km from the capital city of the Italian region of Puglia is Bari. He stands on the shore of the Adriatic sea, and behind it are the Piazza XX Settembre with the main Church of the city and the theatre van Westerhout.

Castle of Mola di Bari was built in 1278-1281-m years by order of the king of Sicily and Naples to Charles I, son of king Louis VIII. Worked on the project Pierre de ACCOR and architect Giovanni da Toul. The main purpose of the erection of this fortress in the form of a polygon was to protect the coast from raids of sea pirates. In 1508, the year the castle was besieged by the Venetians and severely damaged. Only two decades later, in 1530, Charles V ordered to restore Mola di Bari and to upgrade its fortifications. In 1613, the year the castle was bought by the merchant of Portuguese Jewish descent, Michel VAZ, and for two centuries it was owned by the family Vaaz. And in the middle of the 19th century the last representatives of the family sold the castle to the Ministry of defense of Italy. Today the castle is used for conferences and, sometimes, cultural events.

Many times in its history of Mola di Bari has undergone alterations and reconstructions, particularly regarding its interior. On top of the castle like a star. But since this form was uncharacteristic of fortifications of the 13th century, the researchers suggest that the original castle had the form of a simple rectangular tower topped with battlements and embrasures protected. Between the Eastern and southern ramparts were discovered the foundations of the walls, which probably also formed part of the defensive complex. Now the castle is accessed via a road bridge from the South side, where once was a drawbridge. Right at the entrance is visible to the niche to protect, and on the opposite wall - the remains of an old fresco depicting the Madonna and child. The courtyard of Mola di Bari has a shape of an irregular trapezium, from its original walls have been preserved, only one, and the rest were completed in the mid-19th century. Here was the ammunition depot and the Grand staircase that led to the second floor. This floor was intended for the royals, and today there is a literary Academy, and a small theater scene.