/ / The castle of Otranto: photo, description Castello Otranto)

The castle of Otranto: photo, description Castello Otranto)

The castle of Otranto, also known as the Aragonese castle, is located in Otranto, in the Italian region of Puglia. It was built in the second half of the 15th century by order of king Ferdinand II of Aragon to defend the city and the coast from the invasions of the Turks. On the project of the castle-fortress architects worked Chiri chiro and Francesco di Giorgio Martini, the genius of military engineering of the Renaissance period. Earlier this place was also home fortification, which was built by the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II.

Castello di Otranto is built in the shape of an irregular Pentagon, the corners of which rise the three round towers of the Torre alfonsina, Hippolytus Torre and Torre Dukesa. Fortified ramparts, they were built on the orders of king Alfonso II of Naples. The fourth corner is facing the sea and topped with a thick, pointed end. In 1647, the year in the castle, work was done to strengthen its walls, which were also restored Torre Maestra - Main tower. On the perimeter of the castle surrounded by a moat, through which in the past was thrown a drawbridge, which served as the only entrance inside. Above the entrance portal you can see the emblem of king Charles V. it is Interesting that at the end of the 19th century the moat was partially filled land to facilitate the approaches to the castle, however, in our time, at the end of the 20th century, it was restored to its original form.

Worldwide fame this castle was once became a place of action in the Gothic novel, Horace Walpole's "the Castle of Otranto".